Topic: Need help: Extending WinXP Boot Patition

Hello!

I love this Gparted-LiveCD. I use the latest version. Let me tell you what i have and what i want and what the problem is:

I. 80 GB NTFS DOS HDD splitted in: C: (Boot, System Win XP) D: and E:

II. Since Windows has so much crap it gained weight. I only have 200 mb free space at C: and i want to extend it without deleting/reinstalling. D: and E: are mostly empty.

III. I deleted drive E: Now i want to put the leftover on the C:-Drive. But i cant bring it there. Gparted just allows me to make it smaller but not larger. I cant move D: and E: eighter.
I guess its a physical barrier?

Please help! Do you have an idea? Is there any risk? I want to keep the current system and files, just want to make drive C: larger.

Thanks for your help. Maybe there are other ways to get a solution. Help me! Thanks!

Re: Need help: Extending WinXP Boot Patition

hi speed123 smile
Well if i do understand what you say, the problem is just that you must move your D/ partition to the right and then the free space will be at the left of this partition. then you will have to shrink the extended partition (i assume D: is logical partition, but i may be wrong), and then it will possible to gropup your xp partition to the right.

enjoy smile

Larry
GParted-project Admin
Former GParted-LiveCD maintainer (2007)

Hi.

Yes but i cant "move" D: .. when i right click on it, i just can extend / shrink it. But not on the left.

it hink it comes because your stumble on the extended partition !
could you please post the output of "fdisk -l" ?
thx smile

Larry
GParted-project Admin

what we need is a nifty export function in gparted which will basicly export the partitionlayout to file. we could even create a readonly import function in gparted, so you can visualize the users layout.

let's schedule it for 0.3.1

cool smile you got it, Plors
--------> and what about making coffee :d

Larry
GParted-project Admin

Hello!

Well, its not my pc.

Its a normal partition ntfs label: Boot (c:). the second one (d:) are as well as (e:) extended partitions ..