Topic: I Borked My Partitions!

I am kinda out of my element here which is why I'm coming to you.

While using parted in LibreElec, I accidentally erased all partitions on an external USB 4TB hard drive. My fault!

I think I was able to use testdisk to recover the main partition with the data on it. However, there seems to be some empty space at the beginning of the drive which is preventing me from using it. Maybe a boot partition? (I don't really know, which is why I'm asking you smile

Here is a screenshot of my gparted. If you know how to fix this borked drive please let me know. Thanks!

https://i.ibb.co/98x6pNx/Screenshot-2022-03-13-19-08-29.png

Re: I Borked My Partitions!

The GParted team don't know how the LibreElec distribution partitions their drives by default.  That's a question for LibreElec.

I am suspicious that on a 4TB drive, you have only got 1 exactly 2 TiB partition back.  That hints that you told TestDisk to recover an "Intel" (aka classic MSDOS) partition table, which has a partition size limit of 2 TiB.  I would have expected a 4TB drive to use a "EFI GPT" partition table.  In GParted select View > Information to see the type of the partition table.

Googling for "linux recover deleted partitions" finds this as the first hit:
How to recover lost partition using Linux

P.S. Your screen shot has been scaled down and is incredibly hard to read.

Re: I Borked My Partitions!

mfleetwo wrote:

The GParted team don't know how the LibreElec distribution partitions their drives by default.  That's a question for LibreElec.

Ah. I did use LibreElec’s parted, but the original partition was created somewhere else, either by Ubuntu or just by the factory.