Topic: Desktop never loads

Hi!

I am having a little problem with using GParted. Basically, it installs the OS, asks you what keyboard, language etc. and the modules to install, then I get a screen with the Gnome logo and the "Gnome Partition Editor" with the blue background. The wallpaper for the desktop, from what I gather of the screenshots in the documentation part. Unfortunately, it doen't go any further than this. The desktop is supposed to load after that and then open the Partion Editor. But it doesn't.

Is there something I was supposed to have done, or something?

(And please no snotty remarks. I know I'm just a stupid n00b tongue)

Re: Desktop never loads

I'll start with the snotty remarks...

You posted this in the wrong forum. wink

Well, I told you I'm a n00b tongue

I'm sorry.

What exactly do you see on the desktop? The task bar? Anything besides the wall paper?

If you can access the terminal type:

gparted

See what the output is.

Nothing besides the wallpaper. The background is all that I ever see. I am only guessing that that is the desktop because of the screenshots I have seen.

How much ram do you have?

512mb

Try booting it again and pick "manual video card" out of the extra boot options menu and pick the "vesa" driver when the video card selection screen comes up.

Thanks. I'll try that. But maybe I should mention that it's a laptop. Dell Inspiron 1000.

Hmm. No.

One thing I noticed at the start, though, was a "missing parameter in config file" message (or something similar).

Is this a problem?

hm, dont think : i have also noticed that, and desktop loads on my pc

Larry
GParted-project Admin
Former GParted-LiveCD maintainer (2007)

OK, that's not the problem, then.

What are you using for the depth and resolution? Try using a depth of 16 instead of 24.

I tried using the depth of 16, but it was no different.

Should I try a lower resolution, too?

Won't hurt anything.

16 (edited by arewhyainn 2006-09-23 16:20:34)

I'm having the same problem, X loads and just stops. Ctrl+alt+backspace dose not work, nor dose alt+F1-F6, as (s)he is saying all you see is the wallpaper. You can't do anything, but do a hard restart.

Here is my system:
cpu: AMD athlon XP 2800 (2.02ghz)
mobo: N2U400-2
ram: 768mb

I'm sorry I can't give you any error messages or dmesg or kernel read-outs because I can't get to any of them.

I will also add the X when it loads seems fine as far as it look like it suppose to.

this could come from video : try to load you video card by hand : there is a screen where you can choose to do this.
Okay ?

Larry
GParted-project Admin
Former GParted-LiveCD maintainer (2007)

18 (edited by arewhyainn 2006-09-26 09:21:40)

oops, my bad, bad disk/burn, sorry.

Erm, for the record, I have recently decided that it would be easier just to buy cheaply a distribution of Linux which has a simple partitioner with it. I settled on SUSE. Thanks for your help, though. My PC is now running smoother than it has done in a long time wink

No need to buy any distro whatsoever.

Simply download Puppy Linux LiveCD, a 65 mb download. Included Gparted works like absolute charm

I have used this product on several Dell PE 2650s with no problems.  This is a great product!
However, on Dell 2850s, I am having a problem similar to what is being discussed in this thread except I do not even get to the blue screen.  Everything seems to load fine, but right after I choose the screen resolution, the screen goes black and that is it, nothing else ever comes up.
I have downloaded the software a few different times and burned it to different CDs.  I have tried selecting different video resolutions going from lowest to highest.  I tried manually selecting my video card (ATI RADEON).  Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Hi!
While booting, the screen scrolls fast and prompts twice for some keys and language. Where do you set display and video card?

@doctorkc
You can select one from the initial boot option menu.

*** It is highly recommended to backup any important files before doing resize/move operations. ***