Topic: Unable to expand into unallocated partitions

I have recently gone from dual boot windows/ubuntu to just using ubuntu
I have deleted the windows and winre partitions
This has left me with
-dev/sda2 fat32 partition
-dev/sda5 ubuntu partition ext4
I have two unallocated partitions totaling over 100Gib I would like to add to the ubuntu partition
Unfortunately they are located to the left of the ubuntu partition and you seem to only be able to expand right?
I understand not being able to move the live - ubuntu partition but would expect to be able to move the unallocated partitions to the right to facilitate this but can't move them.
I have rebooted to make sure changes were applied
I have also tried mounting the unallocated partitions to see if that would enable me to move them but no luck so far
Thanks

Re: Unable to expand into unallocated partitions

Just to note that unallocated is not a partition, it is empty space.  Trying to move unallocated empty space on a disk drive is like trying to move empty space around a room to make the furniture move.  You don't move empty space, you move the furniture itself.  So you move the partitions, not unallocated empty space on a disk drive.

As you said it is not possible to move a partition while it is in use.  You will have to boot a live Linux distribution and run GParted from there.  Options: GParted Live, System Rescue or even Ubuntu live.