Topic: Resolution issues

Greetings,

Recently I've downloaded the 0.3.1 live-cd and I ran into a problem with the resolution of the X(?) display. I picked 1280x1024 and 24bit depth from the menu but I seem to get a lower resolution and the screen is somewhat distorted (everything is somewhat 'thin' because it seems to have picked some kind of widescreen format) and it picked a refresh rate of 55Hz which my LCD screen doesn't really seem to like (the screen is sortoff 'shaky').

I have an nvidia card (6800GT) and never really had problems with the display resolution with previous gparted live-cds.

Does anyone know what's up or what I could do to help debug this?

Re: Resolution issues

Try the Xvesa xserver from the extra boot options menu. I try to make a happy medium for everybody but sometimes it doesn't always work.

"I have an nvidia card (6800GT) and never really had problems with the display resolution with previous gparted live-cds."

I have had the same default refreash rate from day one with xorg. You may have been using an older version when we only had xvesa on there or xorg-6.9 is differnet somehow.

Thanks for your response! I'll give the xvesa server a try

I would also like to add that I found that using the 800x600 resolution, the screen looks much better. However, the text is really, really small (I think it was small as well when I picked 1280x1024, but since the screen was distorted anyway I didn't realise it was the text itself that was so small). It almost seems as if a weird dpi value is used. I'll try to see if I can get a screenshot of it.

Here's the screenshot of 800x600 and what the fonts look like: http://www.aphax.nl/images/gparted-800x600.jpg

However it doesn't matter because Xvesa works perfectly and the fonts look OK there, thanks for suggesting that smile

The fonts depend on the kernel and the xorg drivers. I use Slackware for my main desktop and the fonts look horrible until I upgrade my kernel to 2.6. They look even better yet when I use the official nvidia drivers. I would really like to use the official drivers but the kernel module alone is 8mb and a bunch of other libraries too. I've busted my brains trying to get nice fonts on here but the iso size is going to explode if I do. When I run the livecd with my nvidia fx5200 the fonts look fine. It really depends on your card, I guess. The fonts seem to always look good with the xvesa server. It's really sad that it's not maintained anymore.

Hi!
It is my first day with linux. During last 30 years, I struggled twice with linux and gave up. I have same display setting problem and do not know any way of display setting with windows not running. Since I have learnt how to make live CD, would someone suggest specific older version with no display setting problem. Also I want to know 3-4 short steps to make disk partition bootable.