Topic: SD card not visible, undetected by Gparted Live

I'm trying to create a partition (ext 2~4) to an SD card on a windows computer, so I'm using Gparted Live USB .

I've run Gparted and got to the gparted window. Then I inserted the SD card in the computer but it didn't appear on the right upper corner of the Gparted window. Even after Refreshing Devices. The drop down menu contains three lines similar to "/dev/sdb" but none of them refers to the SD card.

I've also tried inserting the SD card before running Gparted Live, but it didn't recognize it either. The same three "/dev/sdb" lines with or without the SD card inserted.

What can I do?

Re: SD card not visible, undetected by Gparted Live

It is possible that the card is damaged. Are you able to use it in any other device? Did you use that card in that same card reader?
You can check what happens when you insert the card into the reader through the Linux terminal. From GParted live you can open a terminal window and run the command:

sudo dmesg

After giving this command the terminal window will display the kernel messages. Then you insert the card into the reader's slot. In the following few seconds you can read messages related to the card activity. For a damaged card you get repeated messages that show that the kernel tries to detect card details with no success.

*** It is highly recommended to backup any important files before doing resize/move operations. ***