Topic: Surface Book 3

I am trying to run on a Surface Book 3 from a USB Boot.  Gparted loads from the USB drive and shows a screen image but thats as far as it seems to go.  No menus or response to the keyboard or mouse. 
Any thoughts?
Thanks

Re: Surface Book 3

Did you ever boot that device from any USB stick in the past?
I don't know if that can fix the issue, nevertheless I find the following about Surface Book 3:

So if you are wanting to boot your Surface Pro 3 from a USB you need to make sure that the device you want to boot from is labelled “BOOTME”.

This means that you have to change the stick's label into BOOTME. I'm not sure if it is valid for recovery mswindows boot or any usb boot. The info comes from users wanting to boot into recovery mode to fix issues, not from users trying to boot into GNU LINUX. Although this doesn't seem really logical, you can try, as it is easy. Manufacturers often try to "innovate" at any price.

Otherwise, possible issues can be graphics parameters non-compatibility, keyboard/mouse issues (it is safer to use wired devices). Disabling "secure boot" in the firmware setup is often helpful.

*** It is highly recommended to backup any important files before doing resize/move operations. ***

class413 wrote:

Did you ever boot that device from any USB stick in the past?
I don't know if that can fix the issue, nevertheless I find the following about Surface Book 3:

So if you are wanting to boot your Surface Pro 3 from a USB you need to make sure that the device you want to boot from is labelled “BOOTME”.

This means that you have to change the stick's label into BOOTME. I'm not sure if it is valid for recovery mswindows boot or any usb boot. The info comes from users wanting to boot into recovery mode to fix issues, not from users trying to boot into GNU LINUX. Although this doesn't seem really logical, you can try, as it is easy. Manufacturers often try to "innovate" at any price.

Otherwise, possible issues can be graphics parameters non-compatibility, keyboard/mouse issues (it is safer to use wired devices). Disabling "secure boot" in the firmware setup is often helpful.

Yes booted to a windows 11 install USB (didn't run the install just tested it).  And it did boot to the Gparted "splash screen"

4 (edited by tommyzerky 2021-11-01 17:18:52)

Do you like it? I am planning to buy Surface Book 3 too this week before I visit my parents in Cyprus here. I read lots of reviews and there are not much complaints. Do you recommend to buy it?

Hi