1 (edited by Sacohen9665 2021-06-19 04:03:01)

Topic: Having trouble booting GParted Live from a USB drive.

As the topic says I am having trouble booting GParted Live from a USB drive.
This is being done on an iMac.
I downloaded the gparted-live-1.3.0-1-i686.zip from the GParted website.
Unzipped the file and copied the contents of the folder to my FAT formated USB Drive with a Master Boot Record (MBR)
When I boot up and hold the Option ket I see the EFI drive and I can choose it, but something comes up on the screen for a split second, and then it goes to this screen.

"GNU GRUB version 2.04-18
Minimal BASH-like line editing is supported. For the first word, TAB lists possible command completions. Anywhere else TEB lists possible device or file completions.

grub>"

How do I actually get into the partition manager?

I was able to take a mov of the bootup and then grab a still of the screenshot of the screen before it gets to this...

"GNU GRUB version 2.04-18
Minimal BASH-like line editing is supported. For the first word, TAB lists possible command completions. Anywhere else TEB lists possible device or file completions.

grub>"

https://flic.kr/ps/3WMr6P

Sorry, I couldn't figure out to embed the picture in here.

Thanks in advance;

Steve

Re: Having trouble booting GParted Live from a USB drive.

Hello Steve,

After you've downloaded the ZIP file, go into Utilities and open the Disk Utility.app.

1. Select the USB device
2. Select Partition (To create a partition on the USB drive)
3. Provide a name for this drive (GPARTED, etc.)
4. Select "MS-DOS" as the format.
Make sure it's at least 300 MB
5. After this is accomplished,  Its a good idea to go into Terminal and on the Command line enter: "Diskutil list"
7. Observe the partition tables created on the USB. (You should see at least 3)
           a. Top USB drive will be  /dev/diskX(2,3,etc.). (This is dependent on how many drives you have)
           b. Under this you should see something like this:

/dev/diskX (2,3, etc.) (external, physical):
   #:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE                      IDENTIFIER
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                  *USB Size                   diskX
   1:                        EFI EFI                          Partition Size             diskXs1
   2:                 MS-DOS FAT ??                     USB Partition size       diskXs2

0 = The boot sector
1 = The EFI bootable file
2 = Your MS-DOS partition

NOW: You can UNZIP the downloaded file on to the USB drive.

NOTE: A GPARTED script file should create the files necessary for the USB to boot. Since its configured as a MS-DOS drive.

A. Reboot your iMac while pressing the "Option" Key

B. You will be presented with different drives to boot from (Macintosh HD, Recovery, USB Drive, etc.)

C. Select the USB drive (GPARTED or whatever you named it) NOTE: The script file may rename it for you.

D. Your iMac should now boot from the USB and create a DOS environment with the user interface.

From here, follow instructions on the screen.

You should not need to use GRUB. Everything should be created on your Flash Drive. If you need to connect to the "Cloud", I think the program would do this for you. If not, you may get an error saying you're not connected to the Internet.

Most of the Instructions on GPARTED assume you're using a Windows PC. The GNU/LINUX is another OS which a lot of people don't use. GPARTED has written their application(s) to reach the largest user pool. A lot of people are not familiar with the MacOS Platform and the Utilities built into the OS. Using the Disk Utility to create the partition will eliminate the need to wade through these LINUX command line entries l

Here's the command line entries if you were creating a USB in LINUX:

fdisk -l /dev/sdd
      Disk /dev/sdd: 12.8 GB, 12884901888 bytes
      15 heads, 63 sectors/track, 26630 cylinders
      Units = cylinders of 945 * 512 = 483840 bytes
      Disk identifier: 0x000c2aa7

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
         /dev/sdd1   *           1       26630    12582643+   b  W95 FAT32

Then format the partition as FAT with a command such as "mkfs.vfat -F 32 /dev/sdd1"
WARNING! Executing the mkfs.vfat command on the wrong partition or device could cause your GNU/Linux not to boot. Be sure to confirm the command before you run it.
      # mkfs.vfat -F 32 /dev/sdd1
      mkfs.vfat 2.11 (12 Mar 2005)

GEESH.... It's a lot easier to use the Disk Utility on the iMac.

Best Regards

Jake

Thanks, Jake;
I'll give that a try.

Jake Rabbit wrote:

Hello Steve,

After you've downloaded the ZIP file, go into Utilities and open the Disk Utility.app.

1. Select the USB device
5. After this is accomplished,  Its a good idea to go into Terminal and on the Command line enter: "Diskutil list"
           a. Top USB drive will be  /dev/diskX(2,3,etc.). (This is dependent on how many drives you have)

#:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE                      IDENTIFIER
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                  *USB Size                   diskX
   1:                        EFI EFI                          Partition Size             diskXs1
   2:                 MS-DOS FAT ??                     USB Partition size       diskXs2

0 = The boot sector

NOTE: A GPARTED script file should create the files necessary for the USB to boot. Since its configured as a MS-DOS drive.

B. You will be presented with different drives to boot from (Macintosh HD, Recovery, USB Drive, etc.)

C. Select the USB drive (GPARTED or whatever you named it) NOTE: The script file may rename it for you.

D. Your iMac should now boot from the USB and create a DOS environment with the user interface.

You should not need to use GRUB. Everything should be created on your Flash Drive. If you need to connect to the "Cloud", I think the program would do this for you. If not, you may get an error saying you're not connected to the Internet.

Most of the Instructions on GPARTED assume you're using a Windows PC. The GNU/LINUX is another OS which a lot of people don't use. GPARTED has written their application(s) to reach the largest user pool. A lot of people are not familiar with the MacOS Platform and the Utilities built into the OS. Using the Disk Utility to create the partition will eliminate the need to wade through these LINUX command line entries l

fdisk -l /dev/sdd

Then format the partition as FAT with a command such as "mkfs.vfat -F 32 /dev/sdd1"
WARNING! Executing the mkfs.vfat command on the wrong partition or device could cause your GNU/Linux not to boot. Be sure to confirm the command before you run it.

Best Regards

Jake

Typically I would agree with you that Disk Utility is easier, but today it is giving me a hard time.
When I highlight the ISB drive it does not give the option to partition it.
It is greyed out for the disk and the partition.
I got it formated to FAT and named GParted by erasing the drive.
Then unzipped the file to the USB drive but it did not see it as a bootable drive.

Here is a screenshot for you to see.

https://flic.kr/ps/3WMr6P

Thanks

Steve

Jake Rabbit wrote:

Hello Steve,

1. Select the USB device

0 = The boot sector

fdisk -l /dev/sdd

Best Regards

Jake

I was able to create a bootable drive now. (Still can't partition it on my iMac and my son's MacBook Air).
It now does the same thing it originally did which was going to the screen full of text for a split second and then to a screen that says...

GNU GRUB version 2.04-18

Minimal BASH-like line editing is supported. For the first word. TAB lists possible command completions. Anywhere else TAB lists possible device or file completions.

grub>