Topic: Extend partition (from LHS) possible?

1. Have managed to upgrade to Fedora 33. There has been not enough disk space problem but managed to get thru.

2. There is only 4G left in my root partition. I like to increase that from my win 10.

3. Managed to get live media Gparted and boot into that. My current partition.
(refer below url without the unallocated 10G)

4. Could allocate 10G from win 10
https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipM … 14Rk1GT0xB

Query:
However am not sure if I would be able to assign that 10G to Fedora 33 root and how? Notice that the 10G is not at the RHS of Fedora partition. Advice appreciated.

Re: Extend partition (from LHS) possible?

Remember to have a backup of data you care about as it is possible for something to go wrong.

Yes what you want to do is possible.  90% of it can be done in GParted with a little bit of command line work.  The bit that can't be done in GParted is growing the LVM Logical Volume containing your root Fedora root file system.

Good, you are using GParted Live media so the root file system on your drive will be unmounted.  I always recommend applying one change at a time.

Overview of steps:
1. Apply that shrink of sda2 by 10 GiB from your screen shot.
2. Grow start of extended sda4 to the left as much as possible (10 GiB).
3. Move sda5 (ext4 Fedora boot) partition to the left as much as possible (10 GiB).
4. Deactivate sdb6 (lvm2 pv fedora) partition.
5. Grow start of sda6 (lvm2 pv fedora) partition to the left as much as possible (10 GiB).
6. Open a terminal window, query LVM and grow the Logical Volume containing the root file system.
   sudo lvm lvs
   I expect that you will have 2 LVs (Logical Volumes) named "root" and "swap", both members of the VG (Volume Group) "fedora".  Grow with:
   sudo lvm lvresize -l +100%FREE fedora/root
7. Back in GParted, activate sdb6 (lvm2 pv fedora) partition.
8. Quit GParted.
9. Run GParted from the command line as:
   sudo gparted /dev/fedora/root
10. Check ext4 (probably /dev/dm-0) file system.  It which perform a check and then grow the file system to fill the LVM Logical Volume.

Thank you mfleetwo for detailed answer.

For one change at a time, you mean that applying e.g. step 1 shrinking sda2 by 10G. Instead of bulking e.g. step 1-3 and apply?

For step 3 and 5 I encounter "Failure to boot is most likely"
https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipP … 5lRVNsY05B

For step 6 I could not open terminal from gparted live. Clicking terminal nothing happens. Could only use gparted. Not even exit (assume meaning shut down). I shut down by pressing the machine button.
nonetheless, sudo lvs lvm FYR (from normal boot)

LV   VG     Attr       LSize  Pool Origin Data%  Meta%  Move Log Cpy%Sync Convert
home fedora -wi-ao---- 33.00g                                                    
root fedora -wi-ao---- 22.00g                                                    
swap fedora -wi-ao---- <3.90g

It looks like that my better option would be fresh install Fedora (probably until Fedora 34). Deleting the whole sda4 (Fedora) and enlarging it during fresh install. Thank you for support.

andy.chung.0 wrote:

For one change at a time, you mean that applying e.g. step 1 shrinking sda2 by 10G. Instead of bulking e.g. step 1-3 and apply?

Yes, press the [Apply All Operations] button after each single step to apply one step at once.

andy.chung.0 wrote:

For step 3 and 5 I encounter "Failure to boot is most likely"

The message is just a warning.  For step 3 (moving sda5, ext4 Fedora boot) it shouldn't matter because GRUB will be installed in and immedately following the MBR and will boot Fedora from sda5 where ever it is on disk.  For step 5 (grow sda6, lvm2 pv fedora) the warning doesn't apply because Fedora doesn't boot from that partition.  The worst case scenario is that you have to re-install Fedora, which you already mentioned as a possibility.

andy.chung.0 wrote:

For step 6 I could not open terminal from gparted live. Clicking terminal nothing happens. Could only use gparted. Not even exit (assume meaning shut down).

Make sure you are double clicking on the Terminal and Exit icons.

andy.chung.0 wrote:

nonetheless, sudo lvs lvm FYR (from normal boot)

LV   VG     Attr       LSize  Pool Origin Data%  Meta%  Move Log Cpy%Sync Convert
home fedora -wi-ao---- 33.00g                                                    
root fedora -wi-ao---- 22.00g                                                    
swap fedora -wi-ao---- <3.90g

My above instructions are to grow root.  If instead you need to grow home, ajust the name used in steps 6 and 9 like this:

sudo lvm lvresize -l +100%FREE fedora/home
sudo gparted /dev/fedora/home