• Model: Msi GL72 7QF

• Processor: Intel i7-7700HQ; 2.8GH

• RAM: 16GB DDR4

• GPU onboard: Intel(R) HD Graphics 630

• GPU card: nVidia GTX960M, Optimus enabled

• SSD: 500GB, GPT UEFI

• OS: Windows10 Insider Preview; Mageia 7; Ubuntu 18.04.3 LTS

Secure boot and fast boot: disabled

I downloaded the latest version of gparted-live: ver 1.0.0.5 and used mkusb to create a live USB stick.
Using the live USB on my desktop computer with Windows 7 worked flawlessly.
Using the live USB on my laptop (described above) failed to open the GUI.  The following message appeared:

Debian GNU/Linux bullseye/sid debian tty1
debian login: user (automatic login)

Linux debian 5.2.0-2-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 529220190821 x86_64

The programs included with the Debian GNU/Linux system are free software;
the exact distribution terms for each program are described in the
individual files in /usr/share/doc//copyright.

Debian GNU/Linux comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, to the extent
permitted by applicable law.

The desktop is MBR formatted but the laptop is GPT booting in UEFI mode.  In the past the nVidia card required adding mods (nouveau.modeset=0) to the kernel instructions in Grub, but that does not work in this case. I tried all the offered scenarios. Also, both the desktop and the laptop have identical nVidia cards.  I tried all the variations of video parameters in the setup, but nothing changed. 

Apparently the live USB is booting in the UEFI system but not progressing to the user interface.  Is this to be expected on such machines, or is there a solution for booting in the UEFI environment?

Re: MBR vs UEFI Live USB Boot

You might try the suggestions in Tips on Booting GParted Live.  You might also try one of the other GParted Live images (i686, amd64).

gedakc- Thank yoiu for your good advice.  Regarding the additional booting tips:

1- The MSI is configured correctly for UEFI.  Windows 10 came preinstalled with it, plus mageia7 and Ubuntu 18.04 are currently installed and working on the same SSD as Windows.
2- None of the other graphics modes produce a different outcome.
3- Forcevideo does not fix the problem at either of the settings' extremes.
4- Addition of the kernel mods for my Intel and/or nVidia card has absolutely no effect.  The boot outcome is identical with or without the additions.  Could you shed some light on exactly where in the Grub kernel commands these mods should be added? I've been putting them immediately ahead of the "nosplash" instruction.  Is there a better place?
5- Does not apply

I have also created gparted-Live in all three versions of the .iso.  I have gone so far as to create the boot disks using three different methods: Unetbootin, Rufus, and mkusb.  They all end up with the same screen.

Most of the Ubuntu derivative distros using a 5.2.x kernel will boot on this laptop by adding nouveau.modeset=0 and then installing the nVidia drivers after logging in.  Apparently Debian is immune to this fix.  I take it there is no known solution.

The GParted Live image is based on Debian Live (SID).  If problems are experienced booting Debian Live (SID) then the issue should be pursued upstream.

Another option you might consider is to boot a different distro containing GParted, such as System Rescue CD.

yogi wrote:

MY COMPUTER

• Model: Msi GL72 7QF

• Processor: Intel i7-7700HQ; 2.8GH

• RAM: 16GB DDR4

• GPU onboard: Intel(R) HD Graphics 630

• GPU card: nVidia GTX960M, Optimus enabled

• SSD: 500GB, GPT UEFI

• OS: Windows10 Insider Preview; Mageia 7; Ubuntu 18.04.3 LTS

Secure boot and fast boot: disabled

I downloaded the latest version of gparted-live: ver 1.0.0.5 and used mkusb to create a live USB stick.
Using the live USB on my desktop computer with Windows 7 worked flawlessly.
Using the live USB on my laptop (described above) failed to open the GUI.  The following message appeared:

Debian GNU/Linux bullseye/sid debian tty1
debian login: user (automatic login)

Linux debian 5.2.0-2-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 529220190821 x86_64

The programs included with the Debian GNU/Linux system are free software;
the exact distribution terms for each program are described in the
individual files in /usr/share/doc//copyright.

Debian GNU/Linux comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, to the extent
permitted by applicable law.

The desktop is MBR formatted but the laptop is GPT booting in UEFI mode.  In the past the nVidia card required adding mods (nouveau.modeset=0) to the kernel instructions in Grub, but that does not work in this case. I tried all the offered scenarios. Also, both the desktop and the laptop have identical nVidia cards.  I tried all the variations of video parameters in the setup, but nothing changed. 

Apparently the live USB is booting in the UEFI system but not progressing to the user interface.  Is this to be expected on such machines, or is there a solution for booting in the UEFI environment?

Hi, recently I tried to move to GParted use into UEFI, but I am facing exactly the same problem! the USB boots fine, I can choose the mode, I wish as Default, or Other mode (VGA) or safe mode, then it start about keyboard choosing, and then about Graphic Settings, I always left them default and always worked.
Just after Graphic Settings, sets to Default, so option (1), I get the same screen as you, and it stays there forever, the main GUI of GParted never open, or reach to.
I tried as you all 3 GParted available ISO, also tried to change stuff into MB settings, SecureBoot, On or Off, it do not change anything, still no luck.
I looked into "Appendix B: Tips on Booting GParted Live" and wanted to give the different NVidia option (nouveau.modeset=0) a try, but I do not really understand how to do that.
Can yu please tell me if since, you found a solution to this issue?? Correctly run GParted with UEFI ?
Thx

ZipZwan - I found some answers, but not necessarily a solution.  Debian, that from which the Gparted-live ISO was created, strictly adheres to their FOSS philosophy.  That is all well and good, but it excludes people who have anything nVidia installed in their system; nVidia being propriatary software.  Apparently Debian developers are choosing policy over user friendliness.

Many Debian derived OS's have the same problem as I note here.  Fortunately most of those problems can be fixed by adding kernel mods (mentioned above) to Grub and then installing the nVidia drivers after the desktop appears.  Sometimes booting from the recovery mode in Grub is necessary.  For the most part gedajc's suggestion that this is an upstream issue with Debian is valid, but I have recently found a few Linux OS's that modified their version of Grub and/or the kernel they use to allow clean booting with nVidia hardware.  Linux Mint, Tails, and Linux Parrot seem to have figured it all out and don't require swimming upstream to get Debian to change it's policies. Gparted-live?  Apparently you need to stick to MBR booting if you want to use it with nVidia.

UPDATE: I just downloaded the latest version of Gparted Live, 1.1.0-5, and installed it using the Linux utility mkusb to a 16GB USB flash drive .  It boots flawlessly in EFI mode and works as expected.  Your mileage may vary.