1 (edited by sirtet 2019-09-03 00:09:36)

Topic: Can not move extended partition

With a Gparted Live USB stick, i was able to move sda3 in the image.
But not sda4/5...
It took me some time to figure i need to select sda4 not 5. But still, can't move it...
https://i.imgur.com/wVoq2dA.jpg
I can only change the values for preceding and size, but not following.
The partition seems locked to the end of the disk?
What am i overseeing?

Original intent:
I want to replace a HDD with SDD which is a bit smaller. So i did shrink the windows partition, and wanted to move the linux partitions, so a copy to a smaller disk would work...

Re: Can not move extended partition

You can try to grow the extended partition only (the external border) to the left.
In a second time you can move the /dev/sda5 inside the extended space to the left, and then shrink the /dev/sda4 by the right border.

*** It is highly recommended to backup any important files before doing resize/move operations. ***

As this is related to GParted in general (not specific to GParted Live media), I move the topic to the general GParted support section.

*** It is highly recommended to backup any important files before doing resize/move operations. ***

Thanks for the picture.  It makes it easy to understand your issue.

The sda4 extended partition can't be moved because the sda5 logical partition is using space inside it.  Follow this to achieve what you want.

Steps:
1. Move start of extended partition sda4 to the left as much as possible.  Apply.
2. Move logical partition sda5 to the left as much as possible.  Apply.  Will take a while because it is copying 27 GiB of data.
3. Move end of extended partition sda4 to the left as much as possible.  Apply.