Topic: Gparted 3.4.6 and Promise IDE Raid problem

I'm relatively new to Linux ( I worked a bit with Unix systems a dozen years ago), but I've used Gparted several times in the last few months and it usually works great.  Had a problem this morning with a Gateway 920 server using a Promise IDE raid controller running Raid 1.  Gparted scanned and identified the drives and identified the two partitions on the drive (a 10GB System partition and a roughly 70GB partition for file folders).  I had defragmented the file partition and tried to reduce its size by 10GB (only 5GB of the partition is being used).  Gparted fails within about 12 seconds with an error message "Shrink /dev/hde2 from 66.56GiB to 56.79Gib"  I looked through previous posts and didn't see anything that appeared applicable.  Any suggestions?

Re: Gparted 3.4.6 and Promise IDE Raid problem

I know this will not be much, but I remember that Promise had some issues with Linux in general. If I remember correctly (from openSUSE 10.0 F.A.Q.) there is (...or WAS at least) some incompatibility with the kernel. I think the solution to solve this was to manually load a kernel module...Maybe this is relevant, or maybe not...(sorry for not providing anything more solid...) but it would be a good idea to try and google Promise & Linux to see what you will come up with...Maybe one of the devels can provide more input...

Good Luck