1 (edited by jumperger 2019-03-14 00:49:51)

Topic: [Solved] SSD partition not found

Hi,
I'm trying to resize a 1TB SSd from 0.5 to 1TB.
The SSD is a cloned 500GB HDD with a windows xp embedded OS.
Everything works fine and I now want to repartition the SSD to have the whole 1TB accessible.

The system uses a VIA EPIA EX series mainboard with onboard graphics.

I manage to boot into gparted with a gparted-USB-Live version 0.33.0-1-i686 NON-pae.

gparted only shows 1 device: the 8GB USB-Stick where I'm booting from.

the Crucial MS500 1TB is not showing up in the device list.

The SSD is not in AHCI mode as the motherboard BIOS does not have this option.

Do I need to change some Boot-Parameters of the Live-Stick to see the SSD?

USB-Live-Stick was made on a Ubuntu-PC using TuxBoot.
gparted-Live version is 0.33.0-1-i686 NON-pae from gparted-live-0.33.0-1-i686.zip

Thanks for your help.
jack

Re: [Solved] SSD partition not found

Does the GNU/Linux operating system see the SSD?

You might try opening a terminal session from GParted Live and check to see if the device and/or partitions are recognized with the following command:

sudo blkid

sudo blkid

only brings : dev/sda1: LABEL_FATBOOT="gParted_liv" ...
dev/loop0: TYPE="squashfs"

gParted_liv is the label of my gparted Stick.

dev/loop0 no idea what it is

It would appear that even the operating system does not see the SSD.  This would explain why the drive does not appear in GParted.

You might try checking to confirm that the SSD is securely connected to your computer.  It is also possible that some hardware is faulty, such as a bad cable.

Note that "/dev/loop0" is a special type of loopback device used by GNU/Linux for file systems such as "squashfs".

5 (edited by jumperger 2019-03-02 20:55:18)

gedakc wrote:

... You might try checking to confirm that the SSD is securely connected to your computer.  It is also possible that some hardware is faulty, such as a bad cable ...

It can't be the cables because the media-PC boots without problems into its own OS once the gParted Stick is pulled off.
The media-PC OS is stored on the SSD, so no hardware issu I think. Once the media-PC booted, I may access the embedded WinXP.

How could I get the Linux OS to see the SSD ?

Good question.  If the OS doesn't see the SSD then that implies that either there is a hardware issue, a missing driver, or that the hardware is not supported by that particular GNU/Linux distro version.

gedakc wrote:

Good question.  If the OS doesn't see the SSD then that implies that either there is a hardware issue, a missing driver, or that the hardware is not supported by that particular GNU/Linux distro version.

and now?
where could I search for a solution?

On which distro is gparted built on?

You can try the System Rescue CD ( http://www.system-rescue-cd.org/ ). It can be used from a bootable CD or USB and contains GParted among other software.

GParted Live is based on Debian Live.

*** It is highly recommended to backup any important files before doing resize/move operations. ***

I don't understand the rescue CD tip, my WinXP system is running fine, I only want to resize the new SSD, which works fine under WinXP.
(it's a media PC not connected to the internet, it's impossible to change it's OS due to special Hardware)

GParted is not showing the SSD
sudo blkid is not schowing the SSD

What could I do to get Debian live see the SSD ?

GParted is based on free open source software. Your media PC and win XP installed version probably contain special proprietary hardware and corresponding drivers. If the problem is missing proprietary drivers, you have to find such drives that are compatible with Debian Live and install them.

System Rescue CD is based on another Linux distro (ArchLinux  instead of Debian Live). The idea is that probably, it could support your hardware better than Debian Live does.

*** It is highly recommended to backup any important files before doing resize/move operations. ***

thanks for explaining the rescue cd idea, I will try the USB version as I do not have a real CD-Rom connected to the unit.
I'll come back with news when I have tried it.

I tried systemrescuecd as you suggested, with latest version.
    systemrescuecd-6.0.2.iso

I get the following answer:

This kernel requires an x86-64 CPU, but only detected an i686 CPU.
Unable to boot - please use a kernel appropriate for your CPU.

Does this mean Ihave to go for an earlier version like systemrescuecd-x86-5.3.2 ?

Thank you for your help,

systemrescuecd-x86-5.3.2 works fine, booting the 32bit system comes with a gParted that sees my SSD

:-)

Glad to know that you did find a solution for the problem.
Thank you for addition of [Solved] in the thread's title bar.