Topic: Minix filesystem (mfs)

Hi,
Has anyone added support for the Minix filesystem to gparted yet? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MINIX_file_system

Re: Minix filesystem (mfs)

Adding support like resize for a filesystem means that there is a free-open source command line tool (running under GNU Linux) that is able to perform these operations. GParted is the graphical front-end for such tools.

Although minix was historically related to the Linux o.s. (Linus Torvalds worked on a minix system to make his initial Linux versions), I don't find minix file system in the list of the filesystem types supported by the GNU parted project. I don't find such tools.

If you know any such software tool, you can provide more info by filing a "bug report" for this.

*** It is highly recommended to backup any important files before doing resize/move operations. ***

Thanks - I forgot this is project is really a front-end for parted, which it looks like doesn't have support for the minix filesystem right now.

4 (edited by niknyby 2018-01-08 19:26:36)

Actually, I'm realizing that parted is only a partition editor:
"Parted previously had support for operating on filesystems within partitions (creating, moving, resizing, copying). This support was removed in version 3.0." - (from GNU Parted's wikipedia page)

Not a filesystem editor. The util-linux package does include a mkfs.minix utility for making minix filesystems: https://github.com/karelzak/util-linux/ … fs.minix.c

Thank you for this.
However, I think that the key functions of GParted for most users are those modifying a file system (shrink, grow, move).
Of course, identifying and creating a file system is a first step.

*** It is highly recommended to backup any important files before doing resize/move operations. ***

class413 wrote:

Thank you for this.
However, I think that the key functions of GParted for most users are those modifying a file system (shrink, grow, move).
Of course, identifying and creating a file system is a first step.

Yeah, absolutely. I'll continue to look around to see if there are existing tools to make edits like this to a minix filesystem.

Sorry about the late reply.  Only just looking at this now.

The following mfs capibilities could be supported via util-linux tools (blkid, mkfs.minix and fsck.minix) and GParted's inbuild capabilities:

• Identify

• FS usage when mounted

• Create

• Check

• Copy

• Move

As there is no software which supports it, these capabilities can't be supported:

• FS usage when unmounted

• Grow

• Shrink

• Change label

• Change UUID

Are these capabilities useful to you?

Minix file system support was merged into the git repository with MR!12 - Add minix file system support.  This will be included in the next release of GParted.