Topic: [SOLVED] Copy partition to non-empty space

It would be really nice if I could copy a partition's data to another non-empty partition, thereby replacing the filesystem in the non-empty partition completely, rather than the present functionality of only allowing a partition to be copied to empty space on a hard drive. The reason for this is:

Suppose I need to restore a backup of a partition. Currently I would have to delete the old partition and then copy the backup to the deleted empty space on the hard drive. This changes the order of the partitions in the partition table of the hard drive. While the use of UUIDs under Linux should solve this problem I have still seen situations, even when using UUIDS, where some Linux systems get confused in updating files on its boot partition simply because the order of the partitions in the partition table changed. But if I were able to copy a partition's data to a non-empty partition using GParted, nothing would change as far as the order of partitions on the hard drive.

Re: [SOLVED] Copy partition to non-empty space

Which version of GParted are you using?

If there the destination partition is large enough then the paste into the destination partition will be allowed.

GParted has supported pasting into an existing partition for quite a while.

Re: [SOLVED] Copy partition to non-empty space

gedakc wrote:

Which version of GParted are you using?

If there the destination partition is large enough then the paste into the destination partition will be allowed.

GParted has supported pasting into an existing partition for quite a while.

Thanks ! I am glad to know that.