Topic: HELP - 2011 Macbook Pro - *ERROR* No UMS Support in radeon module!

I'm trying to boot GPARTED from USB on my 2011 Macbook Pro to attempt and recover from disk clean command which wiped my partition; however, I'm having troubles getting X windows to load to see if Gparted can even fix my issue.

First of all, during initial loading, I noticed an error which flashes quickly before the Blue option menu screen appears and says ... "error: file 'EFI/boot//x86.64-efi/vbe.mod' not found.  I'm not sure how important this is or not?

Secondly, I believe I've tried every menu option and the only one which loads until asking about language and graphics options is option 4, *Gparted Live Safe graphics settings (vga=normal) which then never proceeds to load X windows.  After selecting option 4, I noticed the following errors ...

[drm:radeon_init [radeon]] *ERROR* No UMS Support in radeon module!
b43 bcma0:1: firmware: failed to load b43/ucode29_mimo.fw (-2)
b43 bcma0:1: firmware: failed to load b43/ucode29_mimo.fw (-2)
b43 bcma0:1: firmware: failed to load b43-open/ucode29_mimo.fw (-2)
b43 bcma0:1: firmware: failed to load b43-open/ucode29_mimo.fw (-2)
b43-phy0 ERROR: You must go to http://wireless.kernal.org/en/users/dri … cefirmware and download the correct firmware for this driver ...

I have 2 graphics displays in my Mac ... AMD Radeon HD 6750M PCIe and Intel HD Graphics 3000 Built-In.  I'd appreciate very much if somebody could give me some direction to get this resolved.

Re: HELP - 2011 Macbook Pro - *ERROR* No UMS Support in radeon module!

Have you tried any of the Tips on Booting GParted Live?

3 (edited by bugsysiegals420 2017-10-31 04:00:27)

gedakc wrote:

Have you tried any of the Tips on Booting GParted Live?

The directions say to hit tab but I don’t see anything with tab. I do however get to the command line parameters when typing e at the initial options. I then see nomodeset which I’ve replaced with =0 and =1 for both Radeon and Nvidia. The only one which booted was Radeon.modeset=0.

I’ve tried auto configure and 640x480, Vesa, 8, but X Windows never starts. Am I supposed to use a different driver than Vesa (nv or ati)?  Should I be trying nomodeset and modeset under all the options or just option 4?

I also downloaded Kali Linux live to see if I could boot into it and use GParted through it, if that’s possible, but the same issue, it hangs on the black screen with all the white text.  It didn’t show any errors.

I’ll try Ubuntu next.

One other distro you might try that usually has an up-to-date version of GParted is System-Rescue-CD.