1 (edited by horazio 2017-10-15 17:19:54)

Topic: How can I install a file with .exe extention (a program) located on a

How can I install a file with a  .exe extention (a program) located on a cd in GP Live? It's for playing dvd's on my notebook. The dvd drive is mounted as sr0.

My OS at the moment is GP Live.

Re: How can I install a file with .exe extention (a program) located on a

gedakc,

Btw do u know some of the Admins at Puppy-Linux forum? I can't login in there for some time & can't post.

3 (edited by horazio 2017-10-15 17:24:05)

There's a repository for GP Live? GP Live contains so few Apps in it?

I do not understand the question.  Can you ask the question in a different way?

Hello.

Gparted live isn't a "general purpose" Linux distribution. It is made especially as a system tool so that one can run GParted in a computer without installing it (as well as the required libraries). That's why there is no software repository or other facilities like those you can find in, e.g., Ubuntu, Linux Mint, Puppy, Fedora etc. Gparted Live isn't designed to be installed in a hard drive as Ubuntu or others. It just provides the base system and some basic tools required for its tasks.
For the everyday's computer work you can use one of the 10s (or 100s) existing distributions.

However it is possible to install applications in case they are useful for the administrative/managerial tasks. GParted live is based on Debian live, so you can look there for applications. Please give a look at the GParted Live Manual for info about basic tasks.

It is even possible to compile a new version of GParted live, including additional software, however this needs deep knowledge and experience of the Linux operating system as well as information technology in general.
Regarding .exe files, I guess you mean software compiled to run under ms windows o.s. It isn't possible (in general) to execute such files under Linux, and this isn't the scope of GParted.

*** It is highly recommended to backup any important files before doing resize/move operations. ***

How can I unzip this files in a terminal?

pulseaudio-11.1.tar.xz
linux.zip

What abt the Wine app which is in Puppy? Can I install it in GP Live?

horazio wrote:

pulseaudio-11.1.tar.xz

It seems that pulseaudio is available for Debian, so you could try to install it from there.
I don't know if this will work or no. I think this is something between the applications and the hardware.

Please, don't forget that the GParted filesystem is located by default entirely in the computer's RAM (no swap).

Concerning Wine, you could try it from the Debian repository in a live session (I never tried it myself).
I don't think the Puppy binary would directly work in GParted, anyway Puppy is a largw family smile

*** It is highly recommended to backup any important files before doing resize/move operations. ***

9 (edited by horazio 2017-10-21 12:52:57)

BTW I partitioned my usb stick to install Slacko Puppy,it's small in size, it works best for me. Though I don't know which installer App to use in GP Live.
I also d/l pulseaudio-11.1.tar.xz and I couldn't unzip it in a terminal.

Finally I saw there's a new version of GP released this mo. It's any different than the older?

horazio wrote:

Finally I saw there's a new version of GP released this mo. It's any different than the older?

Yes.  See News page.

gedakc wrote:
horazio wrote:

Yes.  See News page.

When I tried to install tuxboot I got this error:
user@debian:~$ sudo ./Downloads/tuxboot-0.6.src.tar.gz*
./Downloads/tuxboot-0.6.src.tar.gz: 1: ./Downloads/tuxboot-0.6.src.tar.gz: Syntax error: "(" unexpected

TY

It seems that you downloaded a source file.
Please look at this topic in the Tuxboot help forum.

class413 wrote:

It seems that you downloaded a source file.
Please look at this topic in the Tuxboot help forum.

Can u write me the exact steps, dpkg alone gives me errors?

TY

14 (edited by horazio 2017-10-29 05:20:43)

First I got this:
E: Unable to locate package squashfs-tools

Then I constantly get this:
user@debian:~$ unzip gparted-live-0.30.0-1-i686.zip
unzip:  cannot find or open gparted-live-0.30.0-1-i686.zip, gparted-live-0.30.0-1-i686.zip.zip or gparted-live-0.30.0-1-i686.zip.ZIP.

It's in the home/user/Downloads folder.