Topic: Copying files from a sd card to a HD in GParted Live

Both are mounted.

Re: Copying files from a sd card to a HD in GParted Live

GParted can be used to copy partitions from a device to another (or even into the same disk device). The partitions have to be unmounted.

Copying just some files from a medium to another isn't specific to GParted. You can do it as in any Linux distro, from the command line (cp command) or the file manager GUI.

Please look at the GParted Live web page to find the software packages included in the live cd/usb.

*** It is highly recommended to backup any important files before doing resize/move operations. ***

Hi,

I've seen the help page on the GParted site. It only shows how to copy a single file to a hd of sd card. Not a/t on using -r command in a terminal.

@horazio.  GParted can be used for copying partitions.  It is not for copying files or folders.

To copy files or folders, either use the file manager included with your GNU/Linux distro (GParted Live image includes PCManFM), or else use the cp command from a terminal prompt.

I also saw u can easily copy files in MC though not from sda1 partition to another mounted media where it says 'not permitted'. I'm wondering why is that?

In order to copy files the userid needs to have read access to the source file AND write access to the destination directory and file if it already exists.

gedakc wrote:

In order to copy files the userid needs to have read access to the source file AND write access to the destination directory and file if it already exists.

How'd I know what kind of access do I (user) have to write on extrernal media (usb & hd)?

TY

To list the permissions, owner, and group on a file or directory use:

ls -al

To view your logged in userid and group(s) use:

id

9 (edited by horazio 2017-10-10 18:58:14)

I'm trying to update my GP version with the latest. My .iso is in /user/Downloads though when I try to unzip it with
unzip gparted-live-0.29.0.1-i686-pae.zip -d ~/zip-tmp
it says: cannot find or open it ...?

For instructions see GParted Live on USB.

If you are trying to copy files from your USB flash drive to your hard drive then GParted is the wrong tool to use.

horazio wrote:

I'm trying to update my GP version with the latest. My .iso is in /user/Downloads though when I try to unzip it with
unzip gparted-live-0.29.0.1-i686-pae.zip -d ~/zip-tmp
it says: cannot find or open it ...?

.iso file isn't zip file. Look for the .zip file in the download page.

*** It is highly recommended to backup any important files before doing resize/move operations. ***