1 (edited by cvbn 2016-12-22 01:53:49)

Topic: [solved] grub2 cannot boot the Gparted-live from iso on a USB stick

Hello Steven,

longer time I did not start gparted from iso using grub2 (USB stick with installed grub2 and with gparted iso file on it).
Now I’ve done this, but the system did not start and I got an error message.
I tried then the last, for sure booted file, gparted-live-0.17.0-4-i486.iso, OK, no problem, the system was started.
Then the latest i486, gparted-live-0.20.0-2-i486.iso, OK, no problem.
Then the first i586, gparted-live-0.21.0-1-i586.iso, OK, no problem.
Also the gparted-live-0.22.0-1-i586.iso, OK, no problem.
But the gparted-live-0.22.0-3-i586.iso, KO, the bootup process was stopped.
After
usbcore: registered new interface driver usbhid
usbhid: USB HID core driver
the BusyBox told

mount: mounting aufs on /root/ failed: No such device
mount aufs on /root/ failed with option -o noatime,,dirs=/live/overlay/=rw://filesystem.squashfs/=rr+wh
modprobe: module ehci-orion not found in modules.dep

Could you have a look please to find out what was happen in  gparted-live-0.22.0-3-i586.iso.
I would be great grub2 will again boot the gparted-live  from iso file on USB stick.

Best regards
cvbn

Re: [solved] grub2 cannot boot the Gparted-live from iso on a USB stick

Hello cvbn.

Did you try the Live 0.27.0-1 version?
0.22.x versions are rather old (March/May 2015). According to the News file there was a fix concerning grub2 in GParted 0.27.0 and GParted live 0.27.0-1 stable.
Please try to see if this addresses the problem you report.

*** It is highly recommended to backup any important files before doing resize/move operations. ***

Hi,
yes, I did.
I've started first to boot the version gparted-live-0.27.0-1-i686.iso.
As isoboot fails and I've used this way in the past, I've started to investigate from when isobooting is not possible.

The first version where isobooting was not possible was gparted-live-0.22.0-3-i586.iso.
I've tested then each next version until gparted-live-0.27.0-1-i686
No one of them was possible to boot from iso using grub2

Regards
cvbn

Have you looked at GParted Live on Hard Disk.

Hi Curtis,

no, I did not check the docu “Gparted Live on Hard Disk” as I am interesting in booting from USB stick (for multi boot).
I’ve made my tests on two different notebooks Dell and hp.
I found  gparted-live-0.22.0-1-i586.iso and before can be booted from iso.
But  gparted-live-0.22.0-3-i586.iso and newer is not more possible to boot from iso file.

For the further test I copied the  gparted-live-0.27.0-1-i686.iso file to my hdd.
I made needed menu entry (adapted from the docu)  in grub.cfg

menuentry "gparted-live-0.27.0-1-i686" {
  echo Loading gparted-live-0.27.0-1-i686...

set isofile="/boot/iso/gparted-live-0.27.0-1-i686.iso"
  loopback loop (hd0,msdos11)/$isofile

linux (loop)/live/vmlinuz boot=live config union=aufs noswap noprompt vga=788
ip=frommedia findiso=$isofile toram=filesystem.squashfs
  initrd (loop)/live/initrd.img
}

and booted the computer.
First I got the message:
vga=788 is deprecated. Use set gfxpayload=800x600x16,800x600 before linux command instead.

The docu have to be revised, the entry vga=788 can be removed completely (what I’ve done later).

Then the booting procedure continued and ended in the same place as booting from the USB stick:

mount: mounting aufs on /root/ failed: No such device
mount aufs on /root/ failed with option -o noatime,,dirs=/live/overlay/=rw://filesystem.squashfs/=rr+wh

Regards
cvbn

Hi,

I found the problem, this is the key union=
For older iso files, until the version gparted-live-0.22.0-1-i586.iso the key have to be  union=aufs
beginning with the version   gparted-live-0.22.0-3-i586.iso it have to be union=overlay

Below is the grub2 entry tested on few different computers, it worked.

menuentry "GParted Live 0.27.0-1 i686" {
  echo Loading gparted-live-0.27.0-1-i686...

set isofile="/boot/iso/gparted-live-0.27.0-1-i686.iso"
  loopback loop $isofile
  linux (loop)/live/vmlinuz boot=live union=overlay username=user config components noswap nosplash noprompt ip=frommedia gfxpayload=1024x768x16,1024x768 i915.blacklist=yes radeonhd.blacklist=yes nouveau.blacklist=yes vmwgfx.blacklist=yes toram=filesystem.squashfs findiso=$isofile
  initrd (loop)/live/initrd.img
}

A small entry in docu regarding union=aufs and union=overlay could help another to use this iso with grub2

Regards
cvbn

cvbn wrote:

A small entry in docu regarding union=aufs and union=overlay could help another to use this iso with grub2

It was mentioned in the release notes and changelog. Because other boot parameters might change, too, therefore we put some notes in
http://gparted.org/livepxe.php
and
http://gparted.org/livehd.php
Mentioning:
NOTE2: Remember to check the boot parameters in syslinux/syslinux.cfg from the zip file. You should replace the above listed parameters with these more recent ones because these newer boot parameters might be different. For example the vmlinuz path might be different.

In other words, it's recommended to edit the syslinux/syslinux.cfg or syslinux/isolinux.cfg from the downloaded GParted live, not using the old one.

Steven