Topic: GParted Live CD

We have a RHEL Oracle server running ver. 6.8, that we have just rebuilt and after the fact realized that we need to just about double the size of the swap file. When we installed the OS we told the installer to use the entire 1st hard drive so now we are out of space to resize it using the GUI. I downloaded the latest version of the GParted Live CD (0.27.0-1-i686) and I can boot up with it fine but when I try to resize the partition on sda1 (see below) it won't let me actually resize it; either by moving the slider or changing the size itself. Is there something else that has to be done or a command run in order to do this? This is my 1st time using the GParted Live CD.

df -h
Filesystem            Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/mapper/vg_lsgapps-lv_root
                       50G   29G   19G  61% /
tmpfs                 7.8G  300K  7.8G   1% /dev/shm
/dev/sda1             477M  169M  279M  38% /boot
/dev/mapper/vg_lsgapps-lv_home
                       78G   12G   62G  17% /home
/dev/mapper/vg_u02-vg_lv_u02
                      815G   32G  742G   5% /u02
/dev/mapper/vg_u03-vg_lv_u03
                      367G   99M  348G   1% /u03
/dev/mapper/vg_u04-vg_lv_u04
                      815G   73M  774G   1% /u04
[root@lsgapps ~]#

Re: GParted Live CD

From your post it looks like your installation is using Logical Volume Management.  This is an added complexity layer that sits atop devices and partitions.  I highly recommend that you read more about LVM before trying to change the disk layout.  For example you might try reading Logical Volume Manager (Linux), and LVM HOWTO.

GParted can help you resize an LVM Physical Volume, but currently not an LVM Logical Volume.  Instead you might try using command line tools, such as lvresize.