Topic: SD card low-level reset/formatting CMD38

Hi all,

I have been looking for a way to reset a SD card or USB drive, i.e., to let the controller know all cells to be writable again.

E.g., I have overwritten a SD card from /dev/urandom to purge (visible) data remnants (nothing critical) and want to use the card for a new purpose (my raspberry pi...).

Since the device (USB reader controller+memory controller) does not support trim

hdparm -I /dev/sdX | grep -i TRIM

I wonder, how the wear leaving would affect the card, since I suppose the controller does not know, that all cells are free to be written again.

Apparently, SD cards have a command 'CMD38'
https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/pls/pd … p;e=EN_SS1 (p. 38)
that afais 'resets' blocks on a card.

So far, I have found only an official tool for Win/Mac (near to the specifications) for such a low-level operation - but nothing under Linux.

Would something like that (if possible) be reasonable as an option for gparted? (probably a bit outside the formatting business)

Cheers and thanks,
  Thomas

Re: SD card low-level reset/formatting CMD38

GParted is mostly a graphical interface to other libraries and tools that support partition and file system operations.  If you know of a free libre open source software tool that performs the function you are looking for then we could consider including it in a future release.

blkdiscard may be able to do so for SD cards.
Would be a sensible addition to gparted anyway, to e.g. discard unpartitioned space or empty partitions on SSD's (and maybe SD cards).

Thanks Fredo for the tip on blkdiscard.

Do you have any information on whether it is safe to run on all cards or SSDs?