1 (edited by gedakc 2016-05-04 22:10:43)

Topic: [SOLVED] How to save data using liveCD should be specified

When a USB flash drive is plugged in, there is no indication of this with the liveCD.  This can be a bit of a problem, since there is no obvious place you can save error report .htms, log files etc to.

I couldn't recall the steps to manually mount and, since I only had access to the PC I was partitioning with the liveCD, I wasnt able to look up how to mount to save the .htm, which would have helped bug reporting.

Automounting could be a solution, but I know some people don't like automounting.  Failing that, I suggest that the SAVE button has extra dialog or text (or perhaps a desktop icon called say, "How to Mount a Storage device") with step by step "How to save" instructions.

Something like:

"To save log files, error reports etc to a USB flash drive:
•    open up a Terminal window (icon on the desktop)
•    Insert the USB flash drive
•    type df
•    Note the partitions that are listed (which will be something like /dev/sda1,  /dev/hda4, /dev/sdb5 or similar)
•    Note which entry looks to be the right size for your flash drive
This is the designation for your flash drive.
•    Mount that entry by typing
o    mkdir /mnt/usb
o    mount /dev/sdb1 /mnt/usb  (replace sdb1 with your flash drive designation)

You can now Press Save and select /mnt/usb for where to save the log file information."

Thats probably obvious for most of you, but not for those of us new to linux or who dont use the command line regularly.

Thanks,
Vic

Re: [SOLVED] How to save data using liveCD should be specified

Thank you vj777 for the suggestion.  This is certainly an area that could use some improvement.

The GParted Live Manual includes steps on how to save the gparted_details.htm log file.
See Saving GParted Details.

Thanks.  Nice clear description with screenshots.

Thank you for the original suggestion to improve GParted and make it easier for others to use.