Topic: Failed to unmount partitions as superuser

I was trying overwrite a Linux distribution on my netbook when I got this error. In the Gparted Live Media, When I right-click on the partition and select unmount I get:

Failed to unmount partition as superuser the installer needs to commit changes to partion tables.

The other options in the context menu are Manage Flags and Information.

I don't know what to do, but I did go to Device > Create Partition Table and got:

1 partition is currently active on device /dev/sda

Re: Failed to unmount partitions as superuser

What version of GParted Live are you using?
(The latest is GParted Live 0.25.0-3.)

The first message seems to indicate that you have unwritten partition changes in the installer software.  Are you using GParted and the installer software at the same time?  If so then close one or the other and only use one partition editor / manager at a time.

The second message you received indicates that at least one partition is active on device /dev/sda.  In order to create a new partition table, all partitions must be inactive/unmounted.

In GParted an active partition is indicated with a key or lock icon beside the partition entry.

Some live media enable swap partitions.  Perhaps a swap partition is active on /dev/sda?  If so you can use "Partition -> Swapoff" to deactivate the swap partition.

3 (edited by LAPIII 2016-02-29 16:14:14)

I'm using GParted Live 0.25.0-3. The Text Display Area only lists /dev/sda1. I tried going to Device > Create Partition Table and got:

1 partition is currently active on device /dev/sda

gedakc wrote:

In GParted an active partition is indicated with a key or lock icon beside the partition entry.

To create a new partition table, no partition can be in use.  See the above quote to check if a partition is in use.

5 (edited by LAPIII 2016-02-29 21:12:59)

There is a lock beside /dev/sda. In Gparted Live, why can't I use tools on the disk such as the screenshot utility and terminal?

The lock indicates that that particular partition is in use.  Perhaps this is an LVM2 PV partition?  If so you can use Partition -> Deactivate to deactivate the partition so that it is no longer in use.

Regarding "why can't I use tools on the disk ", you'll need to provide more description of what doesn't work.  Saying that you can't use the tools doesn't describe what you tried and what didn't work.

Have you read the GParted Live Manual?

7 (edited by LAPIII 2016-03-01 20:58:57)

There is no Partition -> Deactivate. Are there terminal commands that you would like me to run? In GParted Live, I can open applications by right clicking on the desktop and selecting from the context menu.

LAPIII wrote:

There is no Partition -> Deactivate.

The exact command will depend on the contents of the partition.

For most file systems the command would be Partition -> Unmount.
For linux-swap the command would be Partition -> Swapoff.
For LVM2 PV the command would be Partition -> Deactivate.

What is the file system on the partition you are trying to ensure is not in use?