1 (edited by frenchian 2016-02-21 13:07:50)

Topic: Latest GParted CD won't boot under UEFI

GParted has always worked for me in the past, but I have just converted to UEFI and GPT so I needed a new version.

The websit recommended GParted version 0.25.0.1 for AMD64, so I burned the iso image to a CD. When I try and boot from it on my Lenovo laptop, I get to a screen which says (roughly)

GNU...GRUB....?

Minimal BASH line editing.....tab for options....

GRUB>

At that point, I'm stuck. Any help to solve this little difficulty will be appreciated.

Thanks

(PS: Other CDs such as Macreum Imaging programme boot successfully)

Re: Latest GParted CD won't boot under UEFI

Our live image maintainer just created a new image in the testing branch.  Perhaps you might try GParted Live 0.25.0-3 to see if it will boot for you?

gedakc wrote:

Our live image maintainer just created a new image in the testing branch.  Perhaps you might try GParted Live 0.25.0-3 to see if it will boot for you?

Thanks gedakc.

I've tried it - it does the same.

Cheers

What happens if you boot without the GParted Live CD in the drive?

Have you checked the UEFI settings to ensure that trusted boot and fastboot are disabled?

gedakc wrote:

What happens if you boot without the GParted Live CD in the drive?

Have you checked the UEFI settings to ensure that trusted boot and fastboot are disabled?

Without the Live CD, I get my normal choice - LM17, W10 or System Settings.

To get the option to boot from CD/DVD, I have to press FnF12 during power-up - this gives me the choice of LM17, W10 or DVD drive (but only if a UEFI-compatible CD/DVD is in the drive).

Both trusted/secure boot and fastboot are disabled.

Cheers

Based on your settings it should work.

I have a VirtualBox virtual machine configured with UEFI and it boots the gparted-live-0.25.0-3-i686.iso correctly.

Perhaps you might try the i686 iso?

gedakc wrote:

Based on your settings it should work.

I have a VirtualBox virtual machine configured with UEFI and it boots the gparted-live-0.25.0-3-i686.iso correctly.

Perhaps you might try the i686 iso?

Same result, I'm afraid.

Cheers

GParted Live is based on Debian Live (Sid).  If you are able, you might try Debian Sid to see if it will boot on your computer.

gedakc wrote:

GParted Live is based on Debian Live (Sid).  If you are able, you might try Debian Sid to see if it will boot on your computer.

At a quick glance, that looks challenging for me, possibly beyond my level of ability. However, I'll see what I can do, tomorrow.

Cheers

gedakc wrote:

I wanted a Debian Live Unstable (Sid) image to burn to a CD, as I haven't enough knowledge for any other path. I couldn't find one, but I did find a Debian Live Testing image. So, I downloaded it, burnt it to a CD, and tried to boot from it. Guess what happened?

That's right, the same as all the others, the Grub prompt. Looks like my laptop doesn't like Debian.....

You could submit this problem to the Debian group.

*** It is highly recommended to backup any important files before doing resize/move operations. ***

I ran into the same issue with the gparted live cd. I had to go into my bios, and enable compatibility support for legacy boot.

zerophase, sorry it's taken so long to reply - I was away for 5 weeks.

That sounds a solution, but now I have all the uefi/bios/legacy settings working, I'm reluctant to change anything.

I think I'll try and find another partition manager that works under uefi - I've heard that Aomei does.

Cheers

We just released a new version of GParted Live (0.26.0-1) in case you wanted to give that a try.

gedakc wrote:

We just released a new version of GParted Live (0.26.0-1) in case you wanted to give that a try.

Just tried the newest version, (0.26.0-2) and it has the same issue of freezing once the warranty screen is hit. If I  turn the compatibility settings on in the bios boot up finishes successfully.

I'm pretty sure the usb drive is formatted correctly, as the Arch Linux install medium starts up successfully with legacy support turned off.

Is there a command I need to pass through grub?

You might try other modes -- KMS mode when booting.

gedakc wrote:

You might try other modes -- KMS mode when booting.

Debian live doesn't look like it supports uefi booting yet. Know of any utilities I could use to make a custom live image?

https://wiki.debian.org/UEFI#UEFI_suppo … ive_images

Hi zerophase,

The latest versions of GParted Live do support booting in either BIOS or UEFI mode.  I have personally tested these with VirtualBox.  Note that there is an issue with VirtualBox which requires that KMS mode is chosen when booting GParted Live.

0.28.1-1 fixes this issue.

Thank you zerophase for reporting back that GParted Live 0.28.1-1 fixes the UEFI boot issue.