1 (edited by gedakc 2016-05-04 19:12:15)

Topic: system-config-lvm Is Dead, Add lvm write support

So as I understand it system-config-lvm is an orphan project.

How would people feel about adding basic LVM2 support to gparted, i.e. create a new physical volume, create a new volume group, add a PV to an VG, create logical volume in VG, edit size of LV, format file system in LV, display and delete PV, VG, and LG.

Don't think we need all the functionality of the 10,000 lines of Python code of system-config-lvm, just a few minimal functions.

Wrolf
wrolf@wrolf.net

Re: system-config-lvm Is Dead, Add lvm write support

Hi Wrolf,

We would love GParted to support LVM2 Volume Groups and Logical Volumes.  (It already supports Physical Volumes).

We wish to encourage contributions and to ensure that all time and efforts are well spent.  To help in this regard we highly recommend proceeding in small steps to ensure that changes are aligned with the user interface, match with existing code design, and enable future code maintainability.  This helps us to better understand each other and hopefully avoid lost productivity.

What follows is just some caution and not trying to stop you doing this.  We have had previous cases of people coming in and trying to change a lot of code before.  They have ended when the developer lost enthusiasm and the code not being in a fit state to accept.  Also note that everyone works on the GParted project as a free time hobby.

I think what you are suggesting will be a bigger task than you think.  I wouldn't be surprised for what you have outlined to take changing (adding, removing and updating) 2000 to 5000 lines.  For reference when I was just adding LVM2 PV support I changed over 1700 lines in 33 commits and the work spanned over six months:

Please note that we need a coherent UI which is easy to understand and in keeping with how GParted already works.  We also need well structured, maintainable code.

So if you are committed to doing this we suggest producing a design for how the UI will work.  Even just ascii text pictures and some description will do.  We (GParted Developers) will review it and we'll go from there.

Mike

I appreciate how big the task of adding complete LVM support to gparted would be.

I like Curtis' comment https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=160787#c23 a lot.

How about a relatively small step: add volume groups to the drop down list of devices, and display the logical volumes, their sizes, their file system type if any, and their mount point? Just read only to start with, other operations (e.g. create/edit/delete volume group, physical volume, logical volume) could be left for later.

So we are just talking about a GUI front end to "lvs -o lv_dm_path,lv_name,lv_attr,lv_size".

Wrolf

Hi Wrolf,

Your plan to add read-only display of VGs and LVs sounds excellent and is what I would do first.  This plan has no changes to the existing UI which is always a bonus.

So that you don't spend too much effort coding in a direction that we don't think is suitable can you either provide an overview of the code you plan to write or submit some early draft code.  (Open a GNOME Bugzilla report now or later to submit the code, and optionally for discussing plans).

Mike
(Trying not be overly prescriptive, but just ensure that we work successful together allowing you to achieve your target).

Starting with read-only support sounds like a great idea.  That should help identify any potential GUI changes required.  Mike's suggestion to track all of this in a bug report is a good way to keep all of the relevant code and discussion in one place.

Curtis

gedakc wrote:

Starting with read-only support sounds like a great idea.  That should help identify any potential GUI changes required.  Mike's suggestion to track all of this in a bug report is a good way to keep all of the relevant code and discussion in one place.

Curtis

Bug report: https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=755429

I am digging through the source for GParted, quite a lot of stuff. Will ask questions there.

Wrolf

Thanks Wrolf for linking back to the bug report.

For information on how we work on GParted, see the development page.