Topic: Massive Hard Drive Issues

Ok so I'll start from the beginning here, and I'll do my best to give you all of the info upfront.

Hard Drive: Toshiba DWC120 2TB
Original File System: NTFS

So I was having issues with this hard drive not being recognized in Windows and my friend recommended GParted.  I put it on a USB and was able to mount the drive with "mount /dev/sdc1 /mnt/sdc1".

From there I was able to see the files that was on there without a hitch.

Flash a couple of weeks later to today, and I don't have a clue what has happened.  I plugged it into Windows, and the Device Manager showed the disk, but there was no way to access it.
Booted into GParted and things weren't looking any better.
"fdisk -l" doesn't show the hard drive.
"ls /dev" shows the hard drive as sdc but no partitions on the drive.  I.e. sdc1/2/etc

From there I ran gdisk which gave me a few errors and says that the MBR was fine but the GPT was invalid and that there are no partitions on the hard drive.

1.  Disk is too small to hold all the data!
     (Disk size is 0 sectors, needs to be 0 sectors).
     ***'e' did not fix this

2.  Problem GPT claims the disk is larger than it is!
     (Claims last sector ends in xxx1582, but backup header is at xxx1615 and disk size is 0 sectors)
     ***'e' did not fix this either

3.  Partitions in the protective MBR are too big for the disk! Creating a fresh protective or hybrid MBR is recommended.
     ***I was too afraid to attempt this as I wasn't sure what was going on with the partitions in the first place.

At this point, I'm at a loss.  In windows it says Disk 1 unknown/Not initialized/0.00GB 

When I try to initialize on the MBR is says "The device is not ready."
When I try to initialize on the GPT it says "The specified disk is not convertible bacause the size is less than the minimum size required for GPT disks"

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!  I've had it with Toshiba as I've had issues with this hard drive since day 1!  I always seem to run into problems when I use it on Linux and then back to Windows.  I hadn't touched it since it was mounted in Linux and the files were viewable.

Thanks,
Made

Re: Massive Hard Drive Issues

You might try running gsmartcontrol from GNU/Linux to see if the hard drive is reporting any problems.

Other areas to check are the output from the dmesg command for hard drive error messages (for example after an operation has failed on the drive).