Topic: Not sure what to do next!

I downloaded gparted 0.3.4-5 iso and burned it with nero express 6, booted off the cd and I got  gnome screen  and then info scrolling by at lightspeed. I then responded to two prompts by selecting the defaults ( I forget what the first one was but the second was US). At that point it scrolled a bit more and then I recieved this: 
determining looptype
Invalid loop location: gparted.dat
please export LOOP with a valid location

/bin/ash: can't access tty: job control turned off
/newroot #

Admittedly I am a noob, I am trying to resize xp partition to make room for vista dual boot. I am running c2d 6300 , Intel dg965ry mb, 2 gigs kingston value ram ddr2 667,  seagate hdd,  nvidia 7600 gs.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Not sure what to do next!

I think your iso burn is not good.
Or maybe download process failed.
Did you use cd-rw ? Did you boot off CD or DVD ?

Larry
GParted-project Admin
Former GParted-LiveCD maintainer (2007)

Thanks for the reply. I used cd-r , I actually downloaded and burned 2x and had data verified. I can try dvd and see if that helps. Thanks again

NO. cd-r and cd drive should always work. DVD doesn't always.

Larry
GParted-project Admin
Former GParted-LiveCD maintainer (2007)

I too am getting the same error messsage on my old IBM Netvista 6790 2DU. I verified that the image was good and tried it on another machine and it worked fine. The same error message appeared on a previous version of livecd. The IBM has the most current BIOS (20kt46a). Does anyone have any suggestions?

gparted 0.3.4-5
Intel Pentium 4 1.8GHz (256KB), 512MB ram, 40GB 7200RPM IDE HDD, PCI Desktop (4x3), nVidia 16MB 4X AGP, 48x CD-ROM, NETGEAR GA311 Gigabit Adapter, Windows Home Server Beta

I haven't solved it yet either. I've even tried a couple of older versions with the same results, so now I have 4 diff discs laying around. It all leads me to believe it is a hardware issue. I just built my pc a few months ago so everything is new, albeit not top of line, but still decent performance wise. I wish I could get it to work it is driving me crazy not being able to play with Vista.

I guess I am  victim as well ;(
same thing ...