1 (edited by c_bauer 2015-03-23 15:21:04)

Topic: [SOLVED] Problem with 30sec timeout (USB)

Hi !

I used tuxboot 0.8.1 to create a bootable USB key, with gparted-live-0.21.0-1-i586.
Now, when I instruct the BIOS to boot off the USB, I get to the Screen that lets me choose to begin booting gparted
or boot from hdd, but if I hit enter, it seems that it unconditionally sits there and waits for 30sec.

It doesn't matter if the timeout expires by itself or not, it always "appends" approx. 30 sec till it starts to boot.

Some older Live CD does not show this behaviour.

Has anybody seen this ? It's just an annoyance having to wait half a Minute ...

best,
Chris

Re: [SOLVED] Problem with 30sec timeout (USB)

I have not experienced this behaviour, and I tested the image on several different computers.

What is the hardware on your computer?

Symptoms are very similar to this thread:

http://gparted-forum.surf4.info/viewtopic.php?id=17238

I understand the live CD is based on Debian, so this is actually a bug originating from Debian, is it ?

best,
Chris

p.s. My machine is an off-the-shelf x86-64, dual core, 12G RAM, nothing too fancy.
Does the system log any startup problems which possibly pinpoint the error?

Just an idea:
Could you retry please on some other USB port of the computer? Perhaps the BIOS expects it from another port.

*** It is highly recommended to backup any important files before doing resize/move operations. ***

5 (edited by c_bauer 2015-02-27 21:48:53)

Is there any way that I can access the log file (startup activities, kernel logs, ...) after the System has started ?

I am sure we can track this down if I get hold of the logs, but, again, I'm far from being a kernel hacker,
so how do I do this ?

best,
Chris

Edit: I will try on different USB ports available and post the results.

Most likely this is an issue with upstream Debian Live.

c_bauer wrote:

Hi !

I used tuxboot 0.8.1 to create a bootable USB key, with gparted-live-0.21.0-1-i586.
Now, when I instruct the BIOS to boot off the USB, I get to the Screen that lets me choose to begin booting gparted
or boot from hdd, but if I hit enter, it seems that it unconditionally sits there and waits for 30sec.

It doesn't matter if the timeout expires by itself or not, it always "appends" approx. 30 sec till it starts to boot.

Some older Live CD does not show this behaviour.

Has anybody seen this ? It's just an annoyance having to wait half a Minute ...

best,
Chris

This problem should be on the syslinux/isolinux which has some issues for your machine. When you mentioned "Some older Live CD does not show this behaviour", which versions of GParted live did you tried?

Steven.

The DVD runs gparted-live-0.10.0-3
Tomorrow, I'll be able to run more tests on the machine to narrow down the issue.

hth,
Chris

9 (edited by c_bauer 2015-03-06 17:23:29)

I re-setup the stick with gparted-live-0.21.0-1-i586 and then tried to boot
- directly off one of the 8 USB root ports
- one external USB 2.0 high-speed capable hub between the host controller and the stick.

Symptoms are the same - eventually, Debian live starts, but no matter what, I have to wait for ~30 seconds irrespective of my choice before the Linux boot process begins. Interestingly, I can use the Keyboard (USB) to navigate up or down or press enter.

Mainboard: 770-C45

best
Chris

Edit: I wasn't able to run "lsusb" from the console. Maybe this would give some insight what's happening ?

- Solved -

The USB key I used was slowly dying.
How did I find out ? Under Windows, the drive becomes inaccessible a few seconds after attachment, and since this happens consistently by now, I suppose the symptoms started to show back then when I used gparted.

Another flash drive (Verbatim 8GB) works flawlessly. The above one is a 16GB Intenso. RIP.

best
Chris

@c_bauer, thanks for reporting back that the problem was hardware related.

To help others searching for answers to similar questions, you can edit your initial post and prefix "SOLVED" in front of the title.