Topic: Change UUIDs when expanding several adjacent filesystems?

Hello:

I have several small linux system filesystems and one large /home filesystem.  They are all adjacent to one another.

The small linux filesystems are all full, and I cannot do any updating  debian system files or install any apps until I expand them.

I want to shrink the big /home filesystem with gparted.

Then I want to increase all the small linux fileystems with gpartedn

What happens to the UUIDs?  Do they remain the same? 

Will the /etc/fstab work when I am finished with gparted.  Will the system boot ok.

Thanks for your help with this.

Kind regards,

Angelo

Re: Change UUIDs when expanding several adjacent filesystems?

angelo.raymond.rossi wrote:

Will the /etc/fstab work when I am finished with gparted.  Will the system boot ok.
Angelo

Hi Angelo,

Yes, UUIDs will remain the same.  (When GParted is only moving and resizing file system / partitions).

/etc/fstab is never changed by GParted.  Your machine will reboot afterwards with your plan of action.

Thanks,
Mike

mfleetwo wrote:
angelo.raymond.rossi wrote:

Angelo

Hi Angelo,

Yes, UUIDs will remain the same.  (When GParted is only moving and resizing file system / partitions).

/etc/fstab is never changed by GParted.  Your machine will reboot afterwards with your plan of action.

Thanks,
Mike

Dear Mike:

Thank you for your reply.  But I am confused.

When I try to resize the /dev/sda15 partition, I get the following

<quote>Moving a partition may cause your partition to fail to boot.  You have queued an operation to move the start sector of /dev/sda15 ... </quote>

I need to squeeze the size of /dev/sda15 (/home/rossi) so that I can expand the other file systems that are adjacent (i.e. to the left ) of the /dev/sda15 filesystem.

How would I do this?  the UUID will change.  How can I get that new UUID into the /etc/fstab.  I don't understand what to do.  One I perform the resizing, shutdown gparted-live, I now have a filesystem without the correct UUID when I try to boot my system.

Also, I am somewhat confused on how gparted assigns UUIDs.  I think I read in the documentation that it assigns them randomly.  But doesn't the UUID related to the block address of the filesystem?

Help!  Help!

Thanks for your patience.

Warm regards,

Angelo

Mike's earlier comment is correct.  The UUID of a file system will not change if your move or resize it.

The /home file system is not involved in the boot process and so should not affect the ability to boot.  The caution arises when the partition contains the system boot files, such as the partition that contains /boot.  GParted issues the warning because there are too many boot loaders to know how each and every one works.  If you are using GRUB legacy or GRUB 2, then moving /dev/sda15 (which contains /home) will not break the ability to boot.

With all that being said, the ability to boot can be restored.  See the GParted FAQ on Fixing GRUB.

gedakc wrote:

Mike's earlier comment is correct.  The UUID of a file system will not change if your move or resize it.

The /home file system is not involved in the boot process and so should not affect the ability to boot.  The caution arises when the partition contains the system boot files, such as the partition that contains /boot.  GParted issues the warning because there are too many boot loaders to know how each and every one works.  If you are using GRUB legacy or GRUB 2, then moving /dev/sda15 (which contains /home) will not break the ability to boot.

With all that being said, the ability to boot can be restored.  See the GParted FAQ on Fixing GRUB.

Hello:

Here is what my filesystems look like

Thu Jan 29 13:19:59 [rossi@debian ~]$df
Filesystem     1K-blocks     Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/sda10        323005   311097         0 100% /
udev                         10240        0     10240   0% /dev
tmpfs                  791624      820    790804   1% /run
tmpfs                            5120        0      5120   0% /run/lock
tmpfs               4825420       88   4825332   1% /run/shm
/dev/sda15     783443048 22826368 720797008   4% /home
/dev/sda14                     369639     2078    343958   1% /tmp
/dev/sda11                  8519944  8489044         0 100% /usr
/dev/sda12              2818080  1871848    783368  71% /var
none                                                     4        0         4   0% /sys/fs/cgroup

As you can see, the / and /usr and /var(maybe for future use) need to be expanded.  But, I need to shrink /home which comes AFTER / ,  /usr, and /var.

Here is the picture of hard drive:

!| --- / ----!|--- /usr ---|| --- /var ---|| --- /tmp ---|| ---------------------------- /home -----------------------------------||

Now, apply gparted and every thing will be moved and shifted:

1) For example, gparted shrinks /home moving the starting location to the right on the hard drive.
2) /tmp moves to right
3) /var moves to right and is expanded
4) /usr moves to right and is expanded
5)/ moves to right and is expanded

Will the UUIDs remain constant after all this fixing is completed?  Will the entries in the /etc/fstab still work and the system will boot?

Thanks for taking a look at this.

Kind regards to all,

Angelo

If you don't believe us that the UUID will remain the same, then I suggest you try creating a small new partition, check the UUID, move/resize the partition, and then check the UUID again.