Topic: 0.19.0-1-i486.iso fails to boot in Linux guest on KVM

On a PC with Gentoo host and 64-bit Gentoo guest, when I attach the ISO to its virtual drive and try booting into several different graphics resolutions in a VESA mode, the desktop appears momentarily and then just flashes continually. On this very same setup configured identically but using the previous version of the image, i.e., gparted-live-0.18.0-2, it works properly. I double-checked the sha1sum of the downloaded ISO, and it was the same as what is shown from Gparted main website.

Re: 0.19.0-1-i486.iso fails to boot in Linux guest on KVM

(Moved to the Live section)

*** It is highly recommended to backup any important files before doing resize/move operations. ***

The minimum RAM requirements increased from 128 MB for gparted-live-0.18.0-2 to 160 MB for gparted-live-0.19.0-1.

Do you have at least the minimum RAM set aside in your VM?

4 (edited by vmod 2014-06-26 00:54:43)

gedakc wrote:

The minimum RAM requirements increased from 128 MB for gparted-live-0.18.0-2 to 160 MB for gparted-live-0.19.0-1.

Do you have at least the minimum RAM set aside in your VM?

Hello. Yes, more than enough. Please let me know whether you would like additional information if you can take time to look at it. This is not an urgent problem for me since the previous version works just great as usual. Eventually, of course, I would like to get this upgraded, and I am perfectly willing to help in any way I can. Thanks.

[edit:] If you prefer corresponding with email, feel free to let me know, as either way is okay.

Personally I've been able to boot gparted-live-0.19.0-1-i486.iso on both VMWare Player and Virtual Box virtual machines running on my kubuntu 12.04 host.

My host has Intel HD 3000 Graphics.  In theory this shouldn't matter because the graphics of the VM is what the gparted live image should see.

vmod wrote:

On a PC with Gentoo host and 64-bit Gentoo guest, when I attach the ISO to its virtual drive and try booting into several different graphics resolutions in a VESA mode, the desktop appears momentarily and then just flashes continually. On this very same setup configured identically but using the previous version of the image, i.e., gparted-live-0.18.0-2, it works properly. I double-checked the sha1sum of the downloaded ISO, and it was the same as what is shown from Gparted main website.

What was your command to start such a KVM? Please show it so that it's easier for us to test it.
Thanks.

Steven.

7 (edited by vmod 2014-07-01 20:21:19)

> "What was your command to start such a KVM?..."

I use "virt-manager" to manage the VMs. The host is KVM/Qemu built on 64-bit Gentoo Linux-3.15.1-hardened, and the host utilizes virt-manager-0.10.0-r2. With the GUI of virt-manager I attach the virtual drive of a VM set to boot into the gparted ISO. This VM is configured in virt-manager with a VNC Display and the QEMU Cirrus Video driver. The cdrom drive has a simple IDE bus. I might add that the gparted-0.19.0 package, not the ISO, works on the host OS. It is only this particular live ISO mentioned above failing to boot properly when run within a guest. Previous versions had no issues. I use a live version with VMs to configure their disk image files. Let me know whether you would like to see a particular log. Thanks.

I am happy to say that this problem no longer appears in the latest version of live gparted on same host, 64-bit Gentoo-hardened. It works properly with both 64-bit and 32-bit versions of gparted. Thanks for working on it. I do very much appreciate your continued support. This program is extremely important to me as well as to many others, I'm sure.

Thank you vmod for testing and reporting back that the problem no longer appears in the latest version of GParted Live (currently 0.19.1-1).