Topic: Simple question?

Hi I just found out about this program while surfing the web for a partioning software for our server. It appears that our server was only allocated 4GB of space for its primary C Drive which only holds the OS. However downloading and installing updates quickly eats all of that space up. I want to use this program because there is also a partioned F Drive that has over 60GB of free space on it and I want to grab some of it and give it to my C Drive. After reading your instructions for "getting free space from partition" I think this is the one I want and I want to make sure it will indeed do what I need it to. I am running Windows 2000 Server, with raid controllers. Any information is appreciated. Thank you.

JOE

Re: Simple question?

Hi Joe,
I did what you are talking about many times. The only real problem I point out is that if you need to move  many files it may take a *very* long time !
But if you only want to grow up a partition, it takes few minutes.
e.g. I am currently moving a 136 go  partition from usb drive (the worse conditions, since usb is very slow) ; it should take about 40 hours :-p
But one more time : this is a move, not a resize.
So go ahead.

Larry
GParted-project Admin
Former GParted-LiveCD maintainer (2007)

thank you for your answer. My only other issue to date now is, I cant load the program on my server. I downloaded it and apparently my OS has no programs for running this. Let me also add I am new to this type of file system .Gz its all new to me. I tried to unzip it and it asks to where I specify a location and thats it. There is no .exe file to start the program. Am I missing something here?

Okay. No the programm you have downloaded can't run under windows !
You need to download the livecd and boot off media.
The only way to run GParted without livecd is to run linux wink

Larry
GParted-project Admin

IC actually I hear what you are saying but what does boot off media mean. If you can quickly explain it I would be much appreciative.

just download the iso file, then burn it to a cd then put the cd into your media drive then boot  the cd wink
(to burn an iso file to a cd, look at your soft docs please )

Larry
GParted-project Admin