Topic: Gparted show my NTFS partition as unkown, unable to detect filesystem

SYSTEM
My system is a laptop gateway 505, centrino, disco duro 40gb, 512 ram

TO THE PROBLEM
i have windows xp sp2, installed from cd, give all the hard disk when install it, one partition. C.
now, like many people, start searching for a better system than windows, apple still expensive so like a lot of people start trying Linux, i hear of linspire, that lead me to freespire, download the iso and try it, i like it, and all hardware work (in windows have to download 20 files for the basic drivers), so i decided install it to my hard drive.

THE PROBLEM
from the livecd, i select create and manage partitions, that lead me to Gparted, but i cant resize my partition (i want resize my windows partition to create a new for freespire) i read this

at top
/dev/hda1
37.25GiB

in the tabs
partition                    filesystem                    size                     used                    unused                  flags
/dev/hda1   (!)             unknown               37.25 GiB             -----                        -----                   boot
unallocated                  unallocated                 7.84 MiB          -----                       -----                   

i can use windows xp, so the partition exist and is alive, the only issue is just everytime i run the livecd to gparted, when reboot to windows, it check the hard disk with chkdsk and reboot, then work normally

WHAT I TRY
i came to the gparted forums, since neither freespire not linspire talk about it, say double boot is not supported.
i see that the first thing you ask is using the last version, i read that someone with ubuntu have the same problem i have, because early version, freespire have 2.5, so i downloaded the last iso, livecd, check the md5, correct download, burn, i can boot to gparted, but the same problem prevail, exact copy that i post before, unknown, unable to detect filesystem.

i read another post with similar problem, that solved running chkdsk /f from windows, and reboot twice, i did it, but without result.

i practically read all the forum searhing for a similar problem, sadly i found a few without any solving the mine, any help is truly apreciated.

Re: Gparted show my NTFS partition as unkown, unable to detect filesystem

interesting, could you run 'fdisk -lu' from inside a terminal on the gparted livecd?

(the output of 'print' in parted could be useful too)

thnx

root@GParted:~# fdisk -lu

Disk /dev/hda : 40.0 GB, 40007761920 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 4864 cylinders, total 78140160
Units = sectors of 1 a 512 = 512 bytes

Device      Boot      Start             End            Blocks           Id          System
/dev/hda       *           63       78124094      39062016         7       HPFS/NTFS

I am having this same problem. Has someone come up with a solution yet?

which version do you use ?
give details please...

Larry
GParted-project Admin
Former GParted-LiveCD maintainer (2007)