1 (edited by photon 2012-11-12 18:15:00)

Topic: Why do I have 1M left after partition for my Arch on VirtualBox?

I tried to create partitions for my arch linux system on VirtualBox, but after creating all the partitions, there're still 1M left. I've no idea why that happened. Could anyone explain it to me? Thanks.

finish creating all partitions
finish creating all partitions

Re: Why do I have 1M left after partition for my Arch on VirtualBox?

Are you using a GPT partition table?
If so, then unallocated space must be reserved at the end of the drive for the backup copy of the GUID Partition Table.

You can check which partition table is in use by choosing the menu option "View --> Device Information".

If you are not using a GPT partition table, then what version of GParted are you using?

Hi, gedakc
Thanks for the reply. I'm indeed using the GPT partition table. The version of GParted is 0.14.0-1.

Thanks for the confirmation.

The primary GUID Partition Table is stored in unallocated space at the front of the drive.  To help avoid confusion, GParted only shows unallocated space at the front of the drive that is greater than 1 MiB in size.

The backup GUID Partition Table is stored in unallocated space at the end of the drive.  Currently GParted shows unallocated space 1 MiB or larger at the end of the drive.  To avoid confusion it might be preferable if GParted was to hide GPT unallocated space that is 1MiB or smaller at the end of the drive.  It's a thought in the back of my mind.  :-)

Hi, I experience the exact same issue, but I'm using MBR, not GPT. No matter what I do, there's always a 1MiB unallocated space. Also, the 1 MiB space is not at the beginning or at the end. It's in the middle between two partitions.

Here's a screenshot.

Hello truskr.
Did you create these partitions with GParted?
Did you try to modify the partitions to allocate this 1MiB?
Do you have the settings used for the various operations?

If the /dev/sdc3 partition isn't well aligned to the 1 MiB at the end, it is possible to leave something slightly smaller than 1 MiB.
You can check this by the output of the command
sudo fdisk -lu  /dev/sdc
in the terminal. This will display the partition limits with 1 sector precision.

*** It is highly recommended to backup any important files before doing resize/move operations. ***

Maybe it's just a bug, but sudo fdisk -lu /dev/sdc shows no wasted sectors. I'll post back if I encounter the problem again.

Hi trusktr,

To my knowledge the fdisk command lists partition entries only.  It does not list the space between partition.

Instead to determine the space between partition one needs to look at the ending sector for one partition and the starting sector for the next partition.

If you post the output of "sudo fdisk -lu /dev/sdc", then we can calculate the unallocated space between partitions (if any).