Topic: [closed] More choice of tools on gparted live CD requested

I wonder why the are only rather difficult to use tools or applications on the live CD.
If on the forum you are advising people to use it, you can't expect everyone to be able to use the rather incrowd kinda tools.
Why not leafpad next nano and vim?
The terminal used is also not the easiest one; to use why not xterm or lxterminal as an alternative?
Why not pcmanfm next to mc as a file manager.
I had difficulty saving text and files to a usb stick, because mc is an unusual tool for me.
I wasn't able to mount the usb stick too. There are easy tools for that.

Re: [closed] More choice of tools on gparted live CD requested

Thank you for the suggestions.

When considering tools for inclusion on the GParted Live image, we try to balance the usefulness of the tool against the installed size.  We try to keep the Live image relatively small since there are already many other GNU/Linux distributions out there that are much larger and include many other tools.

3 (edited by pablokal 2011-04-10 16:25:27)

I understood that this was the reason, but named suggestions are all part of minimal distro's like archbang, madbox or other openbox based distro's and use not so much space.
Or you could provide an alternative iso with named applications that is just a bit larger. My point is that usability is really limited now because of the provided tools. Of course this will always be a subjective choice based on ones experience. But i really think the group that can use it to more effect will get much larger.

We do plan to take these tools into consideration.

leafpad and pcmanfm were added to GParted Live 0.13.0-3.