1 (edited by gedakc 2016-05-04 21:53:51)

Topic: [closed] with pending mounted disk operations and do it at boottime

I'm impressed that GParted can work with many filesystem with no issue, but there's a request.

I'm not sure if there are the way to partitioning the mounted partition (such as move/delete current OS partition),

but after read some FAQ. It is said partition must be unmount so I am here.

Can GParted pending operations that effect mounted partition and do it after restart?

I've experienced Windows application that does it this way and it really useful so I think GParted should have this feature too.

Re: [closed] with pending mounted disk operations and do it at boottime

The best way to use GParted is by booting from media containing GParted Live.  That way none of your disk partitions will be mounted and you will be able to use all of the features of GParted.

By booting from live media, there is no need to queue pending operations for boot time as must be done with Windows software.

I think it's way too inconvenient with live media boot because it's complicate to setup live media and need extra hardware (or whatever).

There is no plan to make it pending and do operation at boot? I'm sure it'll be a very good feature.

The example of Windows software is EaseUS partition manager.

Please let me know if able to do it or not, maybe it's impossible for linux to run program at boot so it's understandable.

The reason that Windows software performs the tasks at boot up is because there is no legal way to do the operation otherwise (e.g., Live Windows media).

We have no plans to implement such a feature for GParted because recovery from problems is better handled from Live media.

In addition to the above reply by gedakc: it is similar to the chkdsk command, that is performed after reboot: it can't be done with the filesystems mounted, so it is scheduled to that moment, before the partitions are mounted.

*** It is highly recommended to backup any important files before doing resize/move operations. ***