1 (edited by Mikerobe 2007-03-16 09:19:50)

Topic: [SOLVED] Livecd 0.3.4-1: icons inactive

Above the initial scan there are five icons, Exit, Screenshot, Terminal, GParted and Info, none of which is active. To exit I have to Right click and invoke the Fluxbox menu 0.9.15.1. Is there a workaround to make these icons active?

Three isos have been downloaded from at least two different mirrors and three different images burnt. The integrity of all three images has been checked. All perform identically. FYI I have since downloaded 0.3.4-2 and, perhaps unsurprisingly, this version acts in exactly the same way. Is this me or is it a bug?

HP Pavilion, 3.2GHz, P4, 1GB, XP Home SP2.
Aol 9.0, Broadband 2Mbps.
Ethernet connection to SpeedTouch 576 modem router.

Re: [SOLVED] Livecd 0.3.4-1: icons inactive

Mike,
First : thx for reporting !
Are you able to give the out put of dmesg ? (excuse me, but i don't remember if you already sent it to me :-/)
We need to find what goes wrong.
I will have a look at idesktop and fluxbox  : maybe there is some known issue.

Larry
GParted-project Admin
Former GParted-LiveCD maintainer (2007)

Mike : what about your video ?
Screen freezing usually turns around this...

Larry
GParted-project Admin

Larry
I'm one of those, referred to by briton in another thread, who download only the livecd version. There is no Linux software on my hard disc and I am an idiot both ignorant and intolerant.
0.3.3-1 worked well for the single partitioning task I attempted and all the icons functioned. But I am now prejudiced against 0.3.4-1 and 0.3.4-2.
Even if you had asked me for the dmesg output I would not have had the knowledge (or ? the software) to provide it. In the unlikely event that the information is essential to you could you please indicate how I should go about obtaining it.

--
Mike

sure think Mike ! smile
I am really sorry about this story... I must admit I didn't mind Windows-only users would be interesting by this soft. I do not know why. Probably initial reaction wink
Anyway this is interesting for me. I will try to keep an eye on this next time I need to give an answer. Thx ! smile

so come back to our story.
Dmesg is a command that returns all what as been seen by linux during the boot.
You can see the output by just typing "dmesg" (without the quotes) in a terminal (click the third icon to open it), and hitting "enter" key.
But like you probably will see, the output is sometime looooong.
So the best is to print this output to a file.
this can be done like this :
dmesg > Mikerobe
then you have a file you can open (using vi ("vi Mikerobe") in a terminal.

but you need to get this file. So either you mount one of your partition with read/write option, either you mount any usbstick or even floppy.
Which one do you prefer ?

Is it clear so far ?

Larry
GParted-project Admin

Larry
I understand what dmesg is, how to check the output, and the principle of printing to file. But as I said in my original e-mail to you none of the icons in 0.3.4-1 works ... clicking on the third icon would do nothing.
Perhaps we would be better leaving things for the time being to see if anyone else reports a similar experience.

--
Mike

As you like.
You have access to all iconified function bu right clicking on the desktop and choosing in the menu ... if it works wink

Larry
GParted-project Admin

Larry
Please accept my profuse apologies. The problem is solved. All the icons work with double clicking as you initially advised.
In my own defence, may I say that double clicking has to be *lightning fast* to work.
Is there any way to slow things down a little?
Kind regards

--
Mike

big_smile
I love that smile

I will try, asap smile

Larry
GParted-project Admin