Topic: Disk copy / backup

Hi All,
I have successfully used GParted to resize an NTFS partition to make room for my new Linux install, which is a Fedora Core 5.
After I have finished all the install and update steps and loaded my favorite software on both systems, I had the idea to backup my HD to and external USB HD. This way I can save much work when I create a  install my favorite environment when preparing a new PC.
I booted up GParted and the external USB drive was recongnized OK.
My problem is, the Linux partition which was automatically generated by the FC5 install by using Logical Volume Management, was not recognized by GParted.
Is there a workaround?
Is there somebody working already on this, and I just have to wait for a later release?
Thanks in advance for any help!
Albert

Re: Disk copy / backup

albert_kurucz wrote:

just have to wait for a later release?

smile LVM is not yet implemented in GParted, but it should in the futur !

Larry
GParted-project Admin
Former GParted-LiveCD maintainer (2007)

at this moment gparted does not support LVM. see http://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=160787 for more info

<for plors>
i was looking for this bug :-D
</for plors>
wink

Larry
GParted-project Admin

Thank for the quick reply!

I guess, then reinstalling Fedora Core 5 with LVM turned off will be my workaround.
(Waiting works less for me).

The http://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=160787 showed me at least I am not the only one who would like this feature in GParted and I also have read, about a priority list.
Does this list exist on the net? I would really like to see what else would be more important than the LVM support.

albert_kurucz wrote:

Thank for the quick reply!

I guess, then reinstalling Fedora Core 5 with LVM turned off will be my workaround.

Yes and this is exactly what i did. Anyway i dont like LVM : when it crashes (if) it is a rela problem to access to data. When you use ext3 during the manul partionning with druiddisk, then you may access to your data from every linux...

Does this list exist on the net?

It does ! but only in the mind of Plors, i guess... smile

Larry
GParted-project Admin

RAID is more important than LVM wink