Topic: Moving File System to the Right

I'm currently resizing my 232GB NTFS partition to 223GB, and the actual shrink is finished. However, it's now moving my file system and it says it'll take 16 hours. Is this correct?

Re: Moving File System to the Right

It depends of the amount of data you have in, and also the drives you use...

Larry
GParted-project Admin
Former GParted-LiveCD maintainer (2007)

I'm using a single 250GB SATA drive with 16MB of cache, and the partition I resized had about 100GB of used space.

Things are going fine so far, but will it speed up when it's done moving the part of the file system that was actually used versus the empty space?

Excuse-me AarOn, i don't understand your question :-/

Larry
GParted-project Admin

Okay, now there's an actual problem. It seems as if the "moving filesystem to the right" has started over at the beginning. I don't want to lose my computer for another whole day. Can I stop this, or will it cause severe problems?

NO !
It is really unsafe to stop it.

Larry
GParted-project Admin

Okay. It looks like it'll finish moving the filesystem some time tomorrow, but I just read the Windows note and learned about the problems with booting into XP after resizing its partition. Does this happen often? If so, is there a way to circumvent it?

Aar0n wrote:

I just read the Windows note and learned about the problems with booting into XP after resizing its partition. Does this happen often? If so, is there a way to circumvent it?

If we exactly know when/what happens, we already would fix it wink
I have added hexedit on the livecd so one can verify that bootsector is okay.
Basically, we follow those instruction : http://www.dominok.net/en/it/en.it.clonexp.html , and especially http://www.dominok.net/en/it/en.it.clon … ettingupxp .

Larry
GParted-project Admin