Topic: gparted

hi im new too this site im using a desktop pc OS windows 7 ultimate 64bit my main c/drive on my pc is so cluttered ive ran out of space. out of 20gb ive only 2gb left ive been told gparted can expand my c/drive too give me more gb space how easy is gparted too use as m not good with computers.in windows 7 ive tried the disk cleanup utility still it wont give me anymore gb space can anyone help and point me in the right direction thank you

Re: gparted

GParted can be used to increase the size of the Windows partition.  You do need to have more unallocated space immediately adjacent to Windows partition in order to increase the space.  Otherwise if there is no free space anywhere else on your drive, your only option might be to remove unnecessary files or uninstall unneeded applications.

gedakc wrote:

GParted can be used to increase the size of the Windows partition.  You do need to have more unallocated space immediately adjacent to Windows partition in order to increase the space.  Otherwise if there is no free space anywhere else on your drive, your only option might be to remove unnecessary files or uninstall unneeded applications.

hi if i post a screenshot of my diskk management could you please let me know if gparted will work for me thank you
http://i42.tinypic.com/j7eogw.jpg

From the picture it appears that you have free space available between your D: and E: partitions.

As such you should be able to move your D: partition to the right so that the free (unallocated) space is to the left of the D: logical partition.  Then you will need to resize the Extended partition (the container for the D: and E: logical partitions), so that the free space will be outside of the Extended partition and right beside the C: primary partition.  At that point you will be able to grow the C: partition.

Please note that it is highly recommended that you make a backup of all your data before editing partitions, in case anything goes wrong due to a software bug, hardware failure, or power outage.

gedakc wrote:

From the picture it appears that you have free space available between your D: and E: partitions.

As such you should be able to move your D: partition to the right so that the free (unallocated) space is to the left of the D: logical partition.  Then you will need to resize the Extended partition (the container for the D: and E: logical partitions), so that the free space will be outside of the Extended partition and right beside the C: primary partition.  At that point you will be able to grow the C: partition.

Please note that it is highly recommended that you make a backup of all your data before editing partitions, in case anything goes wrong due to a software bug, hardware failure, or power outage.

thanks for all the help

Topic moved to the "Support" section.

20GiB for a win 7 system partition is almost nothing!
Automatic updates of the operating system eat disk space very easily. This must be valid for the late service pack for win xp too.

*** It is highly recommended to backup any important files before doing resize/move operations. ***