Re: WARNING! Problem Resizing File Systems with GParted

I have the same resizing problem. I have 500GB SATA drive that was format to use the entire disc with NTFS. I resized the partition to 100GB and now can not boot at all. I used the 0.5.0.3 version of gparted on the gparted live boot disc. Gparted failed to change the size when using 0.4.6
fdisk -l -u looks like:

Disk /dev/sda: 500GB, 500107862016 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 60801 cylinders, total 976773168 sectors
*Uints = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Disk identifier: 0xc65ac65a

Device      Boot         Start               End               Blocks   Id   System
/dev/sda1     *               63     205117919  102558928+     7   HPFS/NTFS

parted /dev/sda unit s print
Model: ATA ST9500420A (scsi)
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: msdos

Number    Start    End                Size                Type        File system   Flags
1             63s      205117919s  205117857s   primary    ntfs              boot

Help!!  How do I calculate what to change to fix this?

Robert

gedakc,

Please drop my problem off your radar. I am reloading windows onto the machine as it was a fairly bare hard drive. Seems a better use of your time. If you could discuss how to fix the problem by hand it might reduce your workload.

best regards and keep up[ the good work.

Robert

PS: Did you know that Symantec have withdrawn Partition Magic from the market and dropped all their help pages. As far as repartitioning on the fly YOU are it!

Thank you for reporting back robert_77546.  I am glad that you discovered a solution that worked for you.

Hopefully soon we will find the solution to this problem so that no one needs to suffer through this resizing frustration.

Parted 2.1 still has this problem. Don't use Parted 2.1 until a third party patches it.

Curtis, I think it might be a good idea to post a warning on the news page about parted-2.1.

Thanks for the heads up Patrick.  I have updated the initial forum post, and plan to do some testing soon myself.

I already posted the full story here: http://gparted-forum.surf4.info/viewtopic.php?id=13937

But to mention it at other place once again:
I found out that TESTDISK - what can be found on Parted Magic - fixed the problem for me and different other people.
So maybe this is worth a try for every one, before trying it on your own step by step.

Hi,
I am using gparted-live-0.6.0-1.iso version for resize the partioning and got the error

current ntfs volume size is bigger than the device size

I have the following details...

root@blr-lin-102 Virtual_Machine]# fdisk -l -u

Disk /dev/sda: 500.1 GB, 500107862016 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 60801 cylinders, total 976773168 sectors
Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
/dev/sda1   *          63      610469      305203+  83  Linux
/dev/sda2          610470    17382329     8385930   82  Linux swap / Solaris
/dev/sda3        17382330   976768064   479692867+  8e  Linux LVM

[root@blr-lin-102 Virtual_Machine]# parted /dev/sda unit s print

Model: ATA ST3500418AS (scsi)
Disk /dev/sda: 976773167s
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: msdos

Number  Start      End         Size        Type     File system  Flags
1      63s        610469s     610407s     primary  ext3         boot
2      610470s    17382329s   16771860s   primary  linux-swap       
3      17382330s  976768064s  959385735s  primary               lvm 

Information: Don't forget to update /etc/fstab, if necessary. 

Please help me to resolve my problem...

shyheg01, please open a new post for this problem.  Otherwise confusion between this and other problems might result in data loss.

The only way I can boot from a usb stick is with fat16.
Gparted never gave me any problems until I upgraded
from Ubuntu 9.04 to Ubuntu 10.10.
Whatever FAT16 partition I make. With an immediate "check" option
it always gives this above mentioned error directly.
However if I re-format the partition (no partitioning) under XP there is no
error if I do the same check. If I use
mkdosfs 3.0.1 from Jaunty to re-format the partition the error
also disappears.
If I re-format again with the mkdosfs 3.0.9 supplied with Maverick
the error appears again.
Also resizing seems to go well now if the drive is properly formatted.
At least ..... in the FAT16 case.
Maybe this is of any help ? Took me some time to find out.

Friendly greetings, Errnux

Errnux, please create a new post for your situation.

gedakc wrote:

Why ?

ERROR: Current NTFS volume size is bigger than the device size!

And

ERROR: File system doesn't have expected sizes for windows to like it.
(in the fat16 case, with gparted 0.6.2 & 0.7.1 tested)

Do resemble. So I thought it is worth mentioning here.
There might be some link ?
Or do you know already there is no link between the errors ?

Thank you 4 starting this topic.

Friendly Greetings, Errnux

Errnux wrote:
gedakc wrote:

Why ?

If you wish help to resolve your situation then please create a new post.  This is to minimize the chance of errors when exchanging information on the problem.  If you look at the first post in this thread, then you will see a list of new posts that cover each person's individual situation.  That is why I requested a new post.

cool

39 (edited by nikozan 2011-06-25 09:55:04)

robert_77546 wrote:

I have the same resizing problem. I have 500GB SATA drive that was format to use the entire disc with NTFS. I resized the partition to 100GB and now can not boot at all. I used the 0.5.0.3 version of gparted on the gparted live boot disc. Gparted failed to change the size when using 0.4.6
fdisk -l -u looks like:

Use under win quike format, Than make partition only one unde unix linux system. Hope that will help.
astigmatism

i tried the newest test version of Parted Magic. It has Linux 2.6.32 included. Maybe this is fixed in the new kernel. If you look through the change log there are some mentions about SCSI not being read correctly. I looked at your list of "cases" in the other thread and every single one of them is a SCSI/SATA (sdx) device. I'm not sure if this could be the problem.

[url=http://www.vacationtuition.com/]Travel Packages[/url]
[url=http://www.vacationtuition.com/]Vacation Deals[/url]
[url=http://www.vacationtuition.com/]Vacation Package Deals[/url]

Thank alexwilliams for your observations.  The newest GParted Live 0.8.0-5 uses Linux kernel 2.6.38-1 so we'll keep an eye on this problem to see if it completely disappears.

Hi, I don't think this problem has entirely disappeared yet.

Yesterday, I resized a data partition that I don't frequently used, to shrink it from about 80Gb to about 50Gb.
Today, I tried mounting this partition and I get the telltale dmesg error, where the two numbers differ by 8.
uname -r: 2.6.35-29-generic
gparted version: 0.6.2

Not exactly sure where to post more details, should I start a new thread?

should I start a new thread?

It would be better smile

*** It is highly recommended to backup any important files before doing resize/move operations. ***

44 (edited by bobcov 2011-08-13 08:29:05)

I'm confused with my gparted live (downloaded July 22) experience over the last several days.
I have version 0.90, drives were two 80 gb in a RAID1 configuration with three partitions, two NTFS, 1 Dell maintenance FAT partition.  Server 2003 on a Dell PowerEdge.

The idea was to shrink D: and grow C: by resizing D, moving D to the right, then resizing C to fill the space left by moving D.

It just wasn't happening at all as RAID1, with errors within minutes of attempting a resize or a move. I tried Cylinder and Mib.

I then decided to take the SATA drive out of the server's array and put it in a USB 2.0 drive holder. I booted my laptop (very slow laptop, big mistake) and began the move of D. It didn't fail immediately, but it did take it's time, more than 14 hours.

It then said right at the end of the move that there was an error and of course with the live CD, I could not save the error file any where.  However, when I quit gparted and relaunched it (not reboot the laptop, just the program) the partition showed as moved. 

I then resized the C: partition.  It too said the operation was not complete.

I put the drive back into the server and booted up Server 2003. In disk management, the drive size for C was reported properly at 53 gb or so.  But in My Computer the drive was shown at its old size before the resize, 29 gb.  Seems very likely this is related to the part of the operation which did not complete. There's a mismatch somewhere.

I don't get what I'm doing wrong here. I've looked at FAQs and I don't see errors as specific as mine and I don't see any explanations for what I've been experiencing.  Clearly, I must be doing something wrong because I'm not the only person resizing NTFS partitions.  Is there some patch I'm missing from the Live CD?

Anybody know the trick to doing this?

Forgot to say that I defraged everything multiple times using Windows and 3rd party tools and deleted the recommended registry key. 

Also, please feel free to move this post if it's in the wrong place.

Another edit. Looks like I've found the answer from the God himself in another post:
"Based on your description it appears that the partition size was increased but the file system failed to grow to fill the partition.

To fix this situation, use the "Partition --> Check" option on the partition.  This should grow the file system to fill the partition."

The partition check failed.  From what I can tell, it seems that it did the dry run okay, but then got to a point in the real resize where there were a lot of "invalid argument" lines and the number "65,535." It also appeared that the program took the choice NOT to proceed with the resize. 

I'll keep plowing through the board to see if I can find any answers.

-Bob

class413 wrote:

should I start a new thread?

It would be better smile

I started the thread here http://gparted-forum.surf4.info/viewtopic.php?id=15130

https://forums.oracle.com/forums/thread … p;tstart=0

Both Solaris11 11/11 and Windows, installed on the same hdd, x86_64.

Subsequent to the moving/resizing of the Windows Partition, by GParted, GRUB no longer appears at bootup; only Windows boots -- as though Solaris and GRUB don't even exist.

At first, Windows refused to boot also, but the Windows Install/Repair disk, coupled with "last known good configuration," dissolved that problem.

The Solaris Partition has not been disturbed afaik.

Can i save my Solaris 11 installation?

ONE THING THAT WOULD BE TREMENDOUSLY HELPFUL IS INCREASING, SUBSTANTIALLY, THE SIZE OF THIS TEXT WINDOW!!!

GParted 0.4.5 is on the latest Solaris 11 11/11 live dvd disk -- that is the version i used

"fdisk -l -u" ==> "-l is illegal option"

"parted /dev/dsk/c3t0p0d0" ==> "warning, you are not superuser" .. repeated attempts to login as superuser .. su - root .. failed because no password will work, not even "enter (no password)" ... so how do i log on as superuser?!

GParted shows that all partitions -- c3t0d0p2 (the solaris partition), c3t0d0p1 (the ntfs windows partition), c4t0d0p0 (fat32; 14.96gb; flags=-boot, lba; i have no idea what this is)are "unmounted."

NEXT ... how would i replace the 0.4.5 version with the latest version of GParted (assuming that you know how to remedy the instant problem.)

nweissma wrote:

ONE THING THAT WOULD BE TREMENDOUSLY HELPFUL IS INCREASING, SUBSTANTIALLY, THE SIZE OF THIS TEXT WINDOW!!!

GParted 0.4.5 is on the latest Solaris 11 11/11 live dvd disk -- that is the version i used

"fdisk -l -u" ==> "-l is illegal option"

"parted /dev/dsk/c3t0p0d0" ==> "warning, you are not superuser" .. repeated attempts to login as superuser .. su - root .. failed because no password will work, not even "enter (no password)" ... so how do i log on as superuser?!

GParted shows that all partitions -- c3t0d0p2 (the solaris partition), c3t0d0p1 (the ntfs windows partition), c4t0d0p0 (fat32; 14.96gb; flags=-boot, lba; i have no idea what this is)are "unmounted."

NEXT ... how would i replace the 0.4.5 version with the latest version of GParted (assuming that you know how to remedy the instant problem.)

GParted 0.4.5 is rather very old. There are many improvements, fixes and changes since that version. The easiest way to use the latest version is to use the latest GParted Livecd. 

The fdisk command (as well as parted) needs the root privilege, so you have to login as root or prefix it with "sudo " . With the GParted livecd you can use it in the terminal window with no password. In the case of other live media containing GParted, you need to ask to the specific developers, as it isn't related to GParted.
The -l option is a lowercase L.

It would be perhaps better to create a new thread.

*** It is highly recommended to backup any important files before doing resize/move operations. ***

48 (edited by sawman 2013-02-22 05:01:33)

?'s

http://besaw.webs.com/tech/custom_fdisk.txt

?'s

I have not undone the GParted Linux iso file yet and
im deciding if it's going to be undone by a downloaded
program or tools from the purchased BSD CD ROM's

sawman, please create a new thread for the problem you experienced.  This will help to reduce confusion as the answers are often specific to only one problem.

I have problems resizing file systems using GParted but this tutorial helps me a lot. Thank you.

Lisha