Topic: Mounting

There is a unmount tool in gparted.
Wouldn't it be nice that there was a mount tool as well; for when you're done?

I miss it.

Re: Mounting

IT is always possible to manually mount a partition, from the command line.
This is used to save the GParted detail file into a removable medium (floppy disk, flash memory, ...).
Nevertheless, "mount" command isn't completely automatic under Linux. There are various parameters, often depended from the specific file system.

*** It is highly recommended to backup any important files before doing resize/move operations. ***

Yes, of course.
But when all the information is in the fstab file, wouldn't just a "mount" without any other parameters do the trick?

There is a "mount" option in GParted.

The challenge is that GParted is not only run from a hard disk installation, but also from live images.  In fact one of the best ways to use GParted is from a live image so that none of the other partitions are mounted.

With a live image, the fstab file does not contain information about the local hard drives.  Hence a simple "mount" will not work.

If the file system is shown in /etc/fstab, then GParted does present a mount option.  This is described in the GParted Help Manual.

gedakc wrote:

There is a "mount" option in GParted.

If the file system is shown in /etc/fstab, then GParted does present a mount option.  This is described in the GParted Help Manual.

Thanks. I'll have a look there.
I should read more manuals, but many of them seems to be soooo large.  wink