1 (edited by GXP 2007-02-27 01:49:16)

Topic: [SOLVED] LiveCD 0.3.3.6-iso reboots after igz

This is my second attempt to use GParted LiveCD. The first the iso would not load after burning. reviewing the forum it suggested using the latest beta - not an option on a prod machine. So I used SystemRestoreCD.

I do not like the GUi for SystemRestoreCD, so I am trying thils live CD again. Downloaded 0.3.3.6-iso and burned at 2x speed. Rebooted the computer and the CD boots. Progress, or so I thought. Press Enter to load and it uncompresses the image and then goes to .igz, after a full row of '. . . . ' not sure how many - maybe 40 the machine reboots. This machines is a Dell Latitude D610 with an intel i810. tried to boot two more times using the F2 option and choose the i810 1024 fb option, that did not work. Then tried i810 800 fb, this also did not work.

I have a second laptop, Dell Inspiron C600 at home will try later on. How do I get this to work?

Re: [SOLVED] LiveCD 0.3.3.6-iso reboots after igz

well, are you able to take any screneshot ? I guess you cant ... but i need the erro message to try to find out what goes worng.
ATM nobody reported me such a bug :-/
So please send as many info as you can...

Larry
GParted-project Admin
Former GParted-LiveCD maintainer (2007)

Hi Larry,

No error messages.

Here is the sequence of events after boot post:

Press F12 key to get boot device menu
Choose to boot from CD
Screen flashes ISOLINUX 3.2... (too fast to catch the rest)
Welcome to GParted livecd version 0.3.3
Press enter
Loading vmlinuz1 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . (1m 34s)    -so you do not have to count 50 dots
Loading vmlinuz1.igz . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . (2m 30s) - 54 dots

Then the machine spontaneously reboots, no error or other type of message on the screen.

Additional Info:

My home laptop, Dell Latitude C600 (my original post I stated this was an Inspiron, that is incorrect) did not get as far as on my work laptop.

After boot post:

Press F12 to enable boot device menu
Choose to boot from CD
ISOLINUX 3.2...  flashes on screen
Welcome to GParted livecd version 0.3.3
Press enter
Loading   (nothing happens after this other than the cpu fan turns on. I wait 5 minutes and then force reboot with <CTRL><ALT><DEL> as I do not want the CPU fan running longer than this.

I will try to see what could fail in Dell latitude asap... Surely some hardware problem i guess...
This may come from missing module in my kernel config.

Remind me if it takes too long wink

Larry
GParted-project Admin

Would missing something for a Dell Latitude cause it to not uncompress vmlinuz?

After thinking about it, is GParted LiveCD affected by CDRW's, and should be burned to a CDR instead? The only other time I have had a burn problem to a CDRW was Ubuntu 5.10 (Breezy) and since then have not had any issues burning iso's to CDRW. Before I burn a perm copy I like to verify it works - then make the perm copy.

Yes this makes sens.
Well what is possible is that you burnt the iso to an already burnt cdrw... Each time i do this , if the old iso is a bit different from the new one, i *must* run a complet erase first! Fast one isnt sufficient.

Should be the problem ?

Larry
GParted-project Admin

8 (edited by GXP 2007-02-26 15:49:37)

Larry, Thanks. I was using Roxio RecordNow on my work laptop and was doing it at work, so I did it quickly.

Tried it agan on my home machine with Nero and after doing a complete erase I was able to successfully use the LiveCD on both my Dell's using a CDRW.

Now that I am able to use it, Nice work!

BTW - I am trying to change the Subject to include [SOLVED] but not sure where it is on your site. Thanks.

GXP wrote:

BTW - I am trying to change the Subject to include [SOLVED] but not sure where it is on your site. Thanks.

This is only possible from the *first* thread !

smile

Happy it works wink

Larry
GParted-project Admin