1 (edited by gedakc 2016-05-04 22:06:27)

Topic: [closed] Mini Version of GParted Live CD

I have my own "Utility CD" that I make using CDRPACK.
Do to the various items on the CD, space is very limited.
Currently I am using version gparted-livecd-0.2.5-3 which is just under 30MB. I would like to be able to use the latest version of GParted, but I don't have the room to fit it due to that its over 120MB.

Is there anyway to provide a scaled down live-cd that only has GParted on it and nothing else?

Re: [closed] Mini Version of GParted Live CD

Version 0.2.5-3 is very old, and surely it isn't able to handle many of the actual systems.
The livecd contains many drivers to cover as much as possible of the hardware, as well as various tools, often useful when working at the partition table level.
It is true that older GParted live versions were around 50 MiB. In a few years this went to 70, 90, 100 and now 120+. Surely, you can make a "lighter" version of the livecd, but this would be less versatile, i.e. it can be intended to a specific hardware, to a specific filesystem, with less or not at all tools (file editor, testdisk, ... ). Nevertheless, such tools are often useful.

So, you could try to keep basic or specific drivers only, as well as tools for the specific filesystem you want to handle.

*** It is highly recommended to backup any important files before doing resize/move operations. ***

So how can I get this basic version whihc you mention? I just need the ability to create and resize the basic partition types that the older versions supported (FAT16, FAT32, NTFS, LINUX). I just need GPartyed and only GParted. For the the added applications are just bloat.

So if I can get get a downsized version of the newest would be awesome!

bump

Hello,

I have been searching for the exact same thing and came across this post. I already have a boot cd that I have been customizing over the years and I would like to update my GParted plugin but the current release is just too large. I really appreciate the excellent work that has been done with GParted live but it would be great to be able to customize the package to remove extra programs and utilities that I will never use. Does anyone know of a way to create a scaled down version with just GParted and the necessary drivers that could be used as a multi-boot plugin?
smile