Topic: Gparted 0.5.2 can't partition (can't do anything) with buildin modules

Hello, I just installed Gparted 0.5.2 from source, everything worked fine, but I can't do anything with it. It does see my disks and partition, but I can't create, modify any type of partition. The kernel has buildin ext2/ext3/ext4/jfs/xfs modules and of course they are loaded everytime, plus the e2fsprogs is installed and working. I can do everything from the console, but not with Gparted.

Does anyone know whats the issue?

Re: Gparted 0.5.2 can't partition (can't do anything) with buildin modules

Do you run it as superuser? You need root privilege to modify the partition table.
Do you try to modify already mounted partitions? You can't modify mounted partitions. To modify the partitions of the system itself it is usually easier to use the livecd, that boots its own operating system and doesn't mount any partition (unless we do it manually).

*** It is highly recommended to backup any important files before doing resize/move operations. ***

Of course with superuser ...

4 (edited by gedakc 2010-06-18 19:43:37)

What version parted (for libparted library) are you using?

Are any of the partitions active (mounted partition, enabled swap space, active LVM)?

Have you read FAQ point # 5 : Why are some menu items disabled?

Yes there are, but there are also partitions or disk which are not in use, this is a "software" issue or kernel issue or gparted not working with libparted. Libparted version is 2.2, Im trying to build version 2.3 just to see but it failed with this error:

In file included from arch/linux.c:42:
/usr/include/scsi/scsi.h:152: error: expected specifier-qualifier-list before 'u8'
/usr/include/scsi/scsi.h: In function 'scsi_varlen_cdb_length':
/usr/include/scsi/scsi.h:163: error: 'struct scsi_varlen_cdb_hdr' has no member named 'additional_cdb_length'
make[3]: *** [linux.lo] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory `/tmp/kng/parted-2.3/libparted'
make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/tmp/kng/parted-2.3/libparted'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/tmp/kng/parted-2.3'
make: *** [all] Error 2

Shit... issue fixed, the PATH wasn't "full" while running gparted with sudo smile

Anyway parted can't be still build, not sure why.

thejinx wrote:

Yes there are, but there are also partitions or disk which are not in use, this is a "software" issue or kernel issue or gparted not working with libparted.

Libparted versions 1.8.8.+ (not 1.8.8) up to and including 2.2 are not able to edit any partitions on a disk device if a single partition is in use.

For more information see the News:
2 May 2010 : Suggested Patches for Parted 2.2

To modify the partitions of the system itself it is usually easier to use the livecd, that boots its own operating system and doesn't mount any partition