1 (edited by sanjait 2009-12-20 06:21:19)

Topic: RESOLVED - Error: Current NTFS Volume Size is bigger ...

I seem to be having a nearly identical problem this person experienced:

http://gparted-forum.surf4.info/viewtopic.php?id=13768

and many other people, as described here:

http://gparted-forum.surf4.info/viewtopic.php?id=13777

I believe I used v. 0.5.0-3 (as I downloaded the latest version Dec. 6th).  I used it on the one 500GB drive I have in my computer to try to partition it out.  I selected 100GB and NTFS for the second partition, so the first was left with about 365 GB, but after I finished, it showed a little triangle and clicking on it shows the error message, and the OS won't load.

It is a win xp system, gigabyte motherboard.  As the OS won't load, I can't run fdisk, but the old drive partition is /dev/sda1 (not working), and the new one is /dev/sda2.  When I click on /dev/sda1 it tells the following info:

file system: ntfs
size: 390.63 GiB
Flags: boot

Path: /dev/sda1
Label:
UUID: 6AE0D79CE0D76D37

First sector: 63
Last sector 819202544
Total sectors: 819202482

! Warning
ntfsresize v2.0.0 (libntfs 10:0:0)
Device name  : /dev/sda1
NTFS volume version: 3.1
Cluster size  : 4096 bytes
Current volume size : 500096987648 bytes (500097 MB)
Current device size: 419431670748 bytes (419432 MB)
ERROR: Current NTFS volume size is bigger than the device size!
Corrupt partition table or incorrect device partitioning?

Unable to read the contents of this file system!
Because of this some operations may be unavailable.

...and sure enough, the OS won't load, so I'm not sure how I can run any tests or alter any files.  Is there a way I can fix this?  Any help would be much appreciated, thanks.  I know many others have had a similar problem, but I haven't yet seen how people manage to use their OS to help solve it when the problem knocked mine out, but I'll keep perusing the forum and see if I can't find a solution.

Re: RESOLVED - Error: Current NTFS Volume Size is bigger ...

Would you be able to provide the output from the following two commands (run these from your Live CD)?

fdisk -l -u

where one of the options is a lower case "L" and not the number one.

parted /dev/sda unit s print

Next we will need copies of the Master Boot Record and the NTFS Partition Boot Record.

You can capture the Master Boot Record in a file with the following command:

NOTE:  Be extra careful to type this command in properly, otherwise loss of data could result.

dd if=/dev/sda of=sda-sanjait.mbr bs=512 count=1

where sda-sanjait.mbr is the name of the file that will need to be uploaded.

You can capture the NTFS Partition Boot Record in a file with the following command:

NOTE:  Be extra careful to type this command in properly, otherwise loss of data could result.

dd if=/dev/sdc of=sda1-sanjait.pbr bs=512 count=1 skip=63

where sda1-sanjait.pbr is the name of the file that will need to be uploaded.

Then upload these files to a media sharing site, such as mediafire, and post the link to these files in this forum post.

3 (edited by sanjait 2009-12-17 23:10:49)

Thanks for the assist gedakc.

From running fdisk, I get:

Disk /dev/sda:  500.1GB 500106780160 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 60801 cylinders, total 976771055 sectors
Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x8e148e14

Device Boot    Start               End           Blocks    Id     System
/dev/sda1   *    63   819202544   409601241     7    HPFS/NTFS

from running the second code i get:

Model: ATA WDC WD5000AAKS-0 (scsi)
Disk /dev/sda: 976771055s
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: msdos

Number Start   End                 Size              Type     File system    Flags
1          63s    819202544s   819202482s primary   ntfs            boot

I also executed the other commands to capture the mbr and pbr files, which seemed to work properly (after I changed the pbr command to /dev/sda, which I assume was intended).

Now I'm wondering though, how can I upload those files?  I can't access windows at all to find the file and take it to a media sharing site.  How has everyone else been doing that?

I'm going to try installing xp on the new partition, which I'm assuming will work, and see if I can't get to it that way, and I'll post the result.  If in the meantime you can tell me a better way to do it, please do.  In any case, thanks again.

Ok, I take that back.  When I try to put windows on the new partition, it says it needs to reformat the old partition (and erase everything) to go forward.  I suppose that is a viable option, since I backed up most of my data before trying to install the partition (but not all of it, and not the program files), but if it is possible I would hope to recover the drive intact.  Is it possible?

You can save the files to other media such as a USB flash drive.  Then you can boot up a Live CD that gives you internet access and a browser and then upload the files from there.

DO NOT WRITE THE FILES TO YOUR HARDRIVE.

Following is a link to some outdated documentation that you might find useful:
Saving Details for Bug Reports

gedakc wrote:

You can save the files to other media such as a USB flash drive.  Then you can boot up a Live CD that gives you internet access and a browser and then upload the files from there.

DO NOT WRITE THE FILES TO YOUR HARDRIVE.

Following is a link to some outdated documentation that you might find useful:
Saving Details for Bug Reports

Thanks.  I am attempting to do this, but running into trouble.  The documentation almost has me there, but it doesn't give a complete description of how to mount the /tmp/usb directory onto the usb key's file system. The usb drive is a fat16 system, but when I type the command:

mount -t fat16 /dev/sdb /tmp/usb

I get a message saying "unknown filesystem type 'fat16'".

If not "fat 16", what is the code that goes there?

Try "vfat" instead of "fat16".

I tried vfat, and it gave me some other error message that I don't understand ...

Given that I've had so much trouble just writing the files to a usb key, and I don't for the life of me know how I'd get the revised mbr and pbr files back on the rig even if I could get them off, I just decided to use gparted to create all new partitions, which worked just fine.  I backed up most of my data, and I can stand to lose the rest.

So thanks gedakc for trying to help me, but I've decided to raise the white flag, so I nuked and paved.  Cheers.

Thank you sanjait for reporting back.  Hopefully everything will run smoothly on your system now.