1 (edited by dkobozev 2009-12-09 06:21:37)

Topic: Status of Current NTFS Volume Size is bigger than the device size bug

Greetings. I've encountered the aforementioned bug today when trying to shrink an NTFS partition on a 1TB drive. The partition took up the whole drive and I wanted to free 32 GB for a Linux install. I used the GParted LiveCD, 0.5.0-3. When the operation failed, I edited the disk's MBR to match the original size of the partition by following a thread that closely matched my scenario: http://gparted-forum.surf4.info/viewtopic.php?id=13768

It is mentioned on the GParted site that "This problem has been fixed starting with GParted Live 0.4.8-6.", but apparently it still persists. A month or so ago I was able to successfully resize and move several NTFS partitions on the same machine using 0.4.6-1 LiveCD. Although I'm glad that I didn't lose any data, I still have to shrink the partition. I'm planning to use 0.4.6-1 for that.

Is there a bug report filed for the latest stable version of GParted?

Re: Status of Current NTFS Volume Size is bigger than the device size bug

Can you reproduce the problem shrinking an NTFS file system with GParted Live 0.5.0-3?

If so then please document the steps you used and save the gparted_details.htm file.  Then post this information in a bug report or post it here.

On my system all my NTFS file system resizing tests have properly completed when I use GParted Live 0.5.0-3.

Currently there is no bug report for resizing problems with GParted Live 0.5.0-3.

Yes, I was able to reproduce the problem. Steps I've taken:

1. Clicked resize/move /dev/sdb1. Set free space following to 32768 MiB, kept Round to cylinders checked.
2. Applied the action.

Files (fdisk output, parted output, MBR, PBR, gparted details):
http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=017b … 73094ddc3b

Thank you dkobozev for reporting back with the steps you used to reproduce the problem.

In the meantime we have been able to recreate the problem.  It does not occur on each and every resize operation, but if we continue to resize and apply these operations we eventually hit the error usually before the 20th attempt.

This problem is being tracked in the following post:
WARNING! Problem Resizing File Systems with GParted