Re: Gparted-0.3.4-4-beta

thx ! Very interesting !
I will add an option at boot time for i810, asap !

Larry
GParted-project Admin
Former GParted-LiveCD maintainer (2007)

Hi chris,
Here is the last iso with i810 option :

http://gparted.free.fr/gparted_livecd-beta-0.7-i810.iso
MD5SUM : 8faaca4842df05ad9b07e587cb4e417b

at boot time type "i810" and <enter>
Tell me how it is, and if it doesnt work have a look at xorg.conf please.
thx

Larry
GParted-project Admin

LarryT wrote:

Hi chris,
Here is the last iso with i810 option :

http://gparted.free.fr/gparted_livecd-beta-0.7-i810.iso
MD5SUM : 8faaca4842df05ad9b07e587cb4e417b

at boot time type "i810" and <enter>
Tell me how it is, and if it doesnt work have a look at xorg.conf please.
thx

beta-0.7-i810 works on my machine now.

nice ! Love that smile
anyway, this options is enable on all iso (beta 0.8 and higher) and will be kept.
thx for reporting.

Larry
GParted-project Admin

LarryT wrote:

nice ! Love that smile
anyway, this options is enable on all iso (beta 0.8 and higher) and will be kept.
thx for reporting.

>
>
Thought you might like to know that the 0.8 betas now defaults to loading the i810 driver on my machine so it looks like you did in fact fix the problem with the earlier betas.

You might consider adding a prompt asking what resolution you want to run at like you have for the keymap and language to the next beta.

thx for reporting chris,
Well, the problem you are talkin about is a question. Personaly i dont want to give any resolution choice... but i am not freezed on this wink
Do you really think it is best to give the choice ? Default is 800, but 640,800 and 1024 are avaible. I can easly add entries in the isolinux.cfg file. Nevertheless i dont want any screen asking ofr resolution : i think this is too difficult for some users to have many and many questions. I think ATM 800x600 resolution is good enough.

release will be done in very few days. Tell me what you think about that, please.

thx

Larry
GParted-project Admin

LarryT wrote:

thx for reporting chris,
Well, the problem you are talkin about is a question. Personaly i dont want to give any resolution choice... but i am not freezed on this wink
Do you really think it is best to give the choice ? Default is 800, but 640,800 and 1024 are avaible. I can easly add entries in the isolinux.cfg file. Nevertheless i dont want any screen asking ofr resolution : i think this is too difficult for some users to have many and many questions. I think ATM 800x600 resolution is good enough.

release will be done in very few days. Tell me what you think about that, please.

thx

I think the choise should be offered. On the machine that uses the i810 driver, the resolution defaults to 1280x1024. Really anoying tiny text. I can read it just fine, but I normally run at 1024x768 or 800x600 on my 17 inch monitor. Having a prompt asking do you want to change the default resolution to something else along with the language and keymap should be that confusing to anyone, and quite frankly if it is that confusing to someone, that person shouldn't fooling with partitoning software to begin with.

chris lee wrote:

I think the choise should be offered. On the machine that uses the i810 driver, the resolution defaults to 1280x1024.

i am very suprised, since the params ask for 800x600, as you can see :

label i810
        kernel vmlinuz1
        append initrd=vmlinuz1.igz root=/dev/ram0 init=/linuxrc video=i810fb:800x600 looptype=squashfs loop=/gparted.dat dokeymap cdroot splash=silent nosound docache

:-/ ...

Larry
GParted-project Admin

LarryT wrote:
chris lee wrote:

I think the choise should be offered. On the machine that uses the i810 driver, the resolution defaults to 1280x1024.

i am very suprised, since the params ask for 800x600, as you can see :

label i810
        kernel vmlinuz1
        append initrd=vmlinuz1.igz root=/dev/ram0 init=/linuxrc video=i810fb:800x600 looptype=squashfs loop=/gparted.dat dokeymap cdroot splash=silent nosound docache

:-/ ...

When I type nothing at the boot prompt, beta-0.8.1 boots into 1280x1024 resolution using the i810 driver on my machine. I'll see what happens with the latest beta by entering i810 at the boot prompt and leaning it blank.

yes please, report how it goes ...

Larry
GParted-project Admin

Hi i have the no screens found error as well im using 0.3.3.0

i have an Connect 3D x1800xt 512mb @ 7.2 catalyst drivers
Viewsonic vx924" 19 on a dvi connection

Ive tried vesa display and ati display both on different resolutions

Im downloading most recent beta now but i have a slow downlaod rate and will let you know what happens

Stalker wrote:

Im downloading most recent beta now but i have a slow downlaod rate and will let you know what happens

Yes i know, and i am sorry about thatt, but i have no other place to stock iso files sad

Larry
GParted-project Admin

Amazing piece of work will be sure to incorporate into a future Windows to Linux redeployment project smile

Are there any version that work with vista? I only have vista installed and not any other OS. I want to shrink some space from other drives to add it to the C drive where vista is installed. Is there anyway to do that or which version should i use?

madhamster wrote:

Are there any version that work with vista?

beta-iso contains last ntfsresize version so it should resize Vista. but i didnt try it since i have no vista version on the hand sad  tongue

Larry
GParted-project Admin

Hi Larry, are all the beta ISOs from 0.4 upwards compatible with Vista?  Is this the latest?

http://gparted.free.fr/GParted-LiveCD-0 … -17h28.iso

Thanks.  I'm trying to reclaim about 40GB from the beginning of my hard drive  that used to have XP on it, but Vista's my sole OS on that drive now.

Hi pylchung,
That last iso is : http://gparted.free.fr/GParted-LiveCD-0 … -14h11.iso
you can find ths from : http://gparted.sourceforge.net/news.php

BTW, VIsta enable only exist from beta-0.8
But i *must* say i didnt make any test, since i have no Vista here !

Larry
GParted-project Admin

pylchung, if you are going to use it on vista, tell me if it works. Dun wan to take the risk as its my only comp

Okay, thanks Larry.  I was looking at the file list at http://gparted.free.fr/ and there appeared to be one after that dated 3rd February.

Yes but it is a beta one, with special kernel, that should help someone, but actully made no differences ...
The problem we have is that we cant release the iso beta, so i must stock all in the beta repository :-p

Larry
GParted-project Admin

46 (edited by pylchung 2007-02-07 11:33:32)

pylchung, if you are going to use it on vista, tell me if it works. Dun wan to take the risk as its my only comp

Well it didn't work for me.  After one hour doing read test and two hours to do the move/resize, Vista would not boot - bootloader wouldn't load.  I didn't have time to investigate so I've set Acronis True Image 10 restoring my backup.

Here's my setup:

ABit NF-M2 nView motherboard (nForce4 430 + Geforce 6150)
XFX 7900GS PCI-E graphics card with 256MB
2GB PC2-5400 DDR2 RAM
250GB Samsung Spinpoint SATA 300 HD

Would you be ***king*** enough to tell which version of the live cd you USE ?!
Or doont ask anymore help !

Larry
GParted-project Admin

I used the one you suggested: http://gparted.free.fr/GParted-LiveCD-0 … -14h11.iso

thx smile
I am currentlmy trying to compill the new kernel, but i have some issue, so, be patient smile

Larry
GParted-project Admin

Hi Larry. I'm trying to run beta-0.9 under Virtual PC 2004 and can't get any mouse point to work. Everything is fine under the released 0.3.3 version. Do you have any suggestions? Thanks for the good work you're doing.