Topic: Windows 2003 Issues after GParted'ing!

Guys  I hope you can help here!

I have a Windows 2003 Std Server running on a Dell PowerEdge with hardware RAID 1. 
We ran out of disc space on drive C but had loads of space left on Drive D.  So I used the GParted ISO to shrink the second partition by 10GB and moved it to the right.  This worked fine - after completing i rebooted and logged in and all was as it should.
I then rebooted to the GParted disc again and tried to expand the primary partition to take the extra 10GB free space.  It ran through the simulation etc and seemed to be fine - but then just after starting to do the resize it said it had completed with errors.  However, when it rescanned it showed the C Partition was now the full 20GB, which included the extra 10GB of space.
Tentatively I rebooted the server.  Windows booted, but ran a scandisc on the second partition and found about 15 orphaned files, but no errors on C.  when i go into Disk Management, the partition shows the full 20GB size, but in the explorer windows above and anywhere else it is still showing the drive as only 10GB!

Can you help here?  I'm rather nervous something is going to break if one part of windows sees 20 and the rest only sees 10... sad

Re: Windows 2003 Issues after GParted'ing!

anyone help please? sad

This does appear very strange.  Perhaps you could try runing "chkdsk /f /r" on the partition and boot back into windows a couple of times.  Then boot GParted Live, select the partition, and choose "Partition" -> "Check", and apply the operation.  The boot back into windows to see if anything changed.

Well I downloaded the latest install of GParted and installed it as a RAM drive version again - ran the check on the partition and it completed the resize - windows now recognises all the space, so success there!

however, there is now another issue, the second partition suddenly has started reporting errors - it started with a warning about a corrupt folder for the Blackberry server logs and being unable to write to the folder.  I cannot delete the folder, but can access everything else ok on the drive.  I ran a windows checkdisk and it came up with multiple "recovering ophaned file xxx" messages all related to this folder.  however, i still cannot access this folder.  When i went into GParted it is unable to check the disc, putting an Exclaimation mark next to it and when i try to check it it tells me that there are damaged clusters!  Every time i boot through windows and it runs the disc check it finds more errors.  But the thing is the RAID controller is reporting both the RAID drives as healthy, and none of these problems were there before i had the issues with the C partition....any ideas?

'Glad to hear that all the space in the partition is now recognized.  smile

From your description of the second partition, if the RAID is reporting that the drives are healthy then I would assume that the drives are not experiencing physical hardware problems.  I think the odds of more than one drive experiencing a failure of the same sector or block at the same time are extremely remote.

That leads me to believe that there is some type of corruption in the file system.

Using Windows to fix problems with NTFS file systems is probably your best bet.  You could try booting into SAFE MODE (I think you press down the F8 key while booting), and then running "chkdsk /f /r" on the corrupt partition.