Topic: [closed] Hexadecimal Editor for Boot Records (Suggested trial version)
would you appreciate a Hexadecimal Editor for all type of Boot Records on fixed and removable storage devices for "GParted" ?
I programmed a simple bash script, which uses programs already contained in "GParted" (mlterm, Midnight Commander, Xdialog, fdisk, dd), and offers the following features :
- Regarding, Editing, Replacing and Storing (as files) all type of Boot records
- Built-in "Mounting Wizard" for USB keys or other removable (flash) storage devices
- "Treeview" display of devices as selection menu
- Creation of an information file on mouse click with all relevant drive data for documentation and support
- Linking of used file extensions (.MBR, .PBR., .XBR and .JPEG for screenshots) to "Midnight Commander", thus starting the appropriate viewers.
It goes without saying, that making alterations in a Boot record is work for someone, who exactly knows, what he does. But all other functions are useful for everyone.
I put the program and some screenshots for download on "easy-share". Use the links below, if you are curious.
Addendum 11-10-08 :
Sorry for the bad download server ! Meanwhile I added more features :
- Access to arbitrary blocks on physical drive with block or CHS (even hexadecimal numbers ) input
- Safe Edit function for Drive ID
- Access to the File ID list of "fdisk" ( Click on every "Filesystem" branch in "Xdialog" treeview )
Here is -- on a better file sharing server -- the newest release (script only):
Added GNU GPL Licence !
This version is for use : Final Version (43KB)
New Version :
1. New Treeview design with "menue"-item:
- Help ( shows console help )
- Storage devices ( shows a technical overview of all detected drives; generates "Drvs.txt")
- Save Screenshot ( taken by "Gparted" to USB key; renaming avoids overwriting )
- Mount an USB key ( already mounted sticks are ignored )
- Store all Records ( of all detected drives to a USB key; also per drive possible )
- Show Filesystem IDs (= "fdisk" table)
- Refresh ( eliminates also removed, but yet mounted USB keys from the system)
2. Bootflag and Cylinder value/Alignment indicator added to Infofile "Drvs.txt"
3. Extension ".txt" linked to "mc" ASCII-Viewer
4. Some minor changes in script code
Here is the Download.
Select newest version.