Topic: beta 0.8.5.1 edit partition and windows freaks

Am using Win 2000.  When I used the subject live cd and edited partitions, the system would start the boot process, then halt with an error like "unable to recognize boot device".

I am working on a clone of my disk, thankfully.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

--JohnS

Re: beta 0.8.5.1 edit partition and windows freaks

I guess you are booting off the livecd, right ?
So, one question : are you sure you did a good iso file burn ?

Larry
GParted-project Admin
Former GParted-LiveCD maintainer (2007)

Re: beta 0.8.5.1 edit partition and windows freaks

Yes, I am using the live CD.  To the best of my knowledge, I have a good iso file burn.  I went through two workstations to get an ISO burn that booted, but did not use any tools to verify checksums.

After I posted, I started over:  install the target HD internally and abandon the USB 1.0 bus (sloooow); clone a new image onto the target HD, then use GParted live CD (beta) to edit partition map.  This time, I found that the move operation failed (I believe on the partition containing the pagefile.sys), giving a message to the effect that I should run Windows, and shut down gracefully to allow for some filesystem maintenance.

Long strory short, Windows complained about losing it's pagefile.sys.  After one more session of partition editing, and Windows launching a disk check utility during startup, I was able to get to the partition map I wanted.  FWIW, this workstation in question has had a pagefile not on the C: directory.

Solved?  I don't know.  I got where I wanted to go.

Very handy application, however.